Small Blinds

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Axelwood

Small Blinds

Postby Axelwood » September 12th, 2008, 6:00 pm

I am 32 and i am admitteedly very new to hunting...  This next Spring will be my 3rd season and I am obviously addicted to the sport or I would not be posting on this site...  Last year I got on a lot of turkeys...  i even had a few drumming around me...  But never saw a turkey (I killed one my first year)... 

I know my problem stems from not being able to stay still for long periods of time.   My feet fall asleep, and I enjoy walking around .... That is one reason I  really enjoy Turkey hunting...

My question is this---  I have been thinking about getting a lightweight-- quick set up blind..... 

Is using a blind (with shotgun) ethical?  Would it take the challenge out of the hunt?  ............  I also want to share this sport with my daughters some day... I think a blind will be necessary then...  At what age do you think a child can effectively turkey hunt?

Steve_In

RE: Small Blinds

Postby Steve_In » September 13th, 2008, 2:55 am

I feel the blinds are ethical.  Blinds have been used for years for turkeyhunting and archers would be hard pressed to get a shot.  They sure would save a rainy day hunt.  What you gain in cover you will lose in mobility.  It is something else to drag around and make noise.  You can carry a pair of pruning shears and make a quick bit of cover from the surrounding follage.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » September 13th, 2008, 12:06 pm

there is nothing unethical about using blinds as steve in has stated ,as far as the youngster goin huntin that in my opinion depends on the child ive seen some pretty young hunters act more mature about diferent hunting situations than some pretty old adults no one knows your kid(s) better than you so thats a call that you will have to make, good luck in the up & comin' season

kcfishnerd

Postby kcfishnerd » September 13th, 2008, 1:11 pm

I too am new to turkey hunting and use a blind.  My friends have used a gound blind for years with excellent restults.  We do not used the pop up blinds because of the lack of mobility.  The blinds we use are pieces of camo cloth with stakes.  Very mobile, easy to set up and light weight.  Most sporting goods stores sell them. You can move the lower part of your body, call, and move your gun without getting busted.  I highly recomend them.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 13th, 2008, 1:15 pm

Hey Justin,

First of all I applaud you for thinking about the future and thinking about taking your daughter turkey hunting with you. As long as you make it fun and concentrate on the real pleasure of spending time with your daughter, you could take her at just about any age. You know better than anyone else what her attention span is and I'd use that as a guide. You may even want to just take her to the woods, no blind, no gun and just see how it goes when the 2 of you sit by a tree and just observe nature together.

I've just never been a fan of blinds, at least the type that you carry in. I agree with Steve about taking a pair or pruning shears and cutting some small branches that you stick in the ground to help hide some movement. A big wide tree or "blow down" serves very well to conceal a little movement, if you do it slowly.

I have found that one of the most important things to consider, especially if you are hearing turkeys around you, is your set-up. It may well be that you may just need to move a bit to get in a better position. If you've not read the article "Good End of Season Advice" on this site, I'd recommend it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion