late summer tactics

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
trkyklr

late summer tactics

Postby trkyklr » September 12th, 2008, 4:07 am

our management area archery season opens on sept 20 wich i consider late summer instead of fall , everyone help me out & give me your best late summer tactics to take out a few birds i got 2 weeks to take 3 birds either sex the only mornings ill be able to hunt will be the weekends but i will be able to hunt a few afternoons thru the week any advice would be appreciated

allaboutshooting

RE: late summer tactics

Postby allaboutshooting » September 12th, 2008, 6:42 am

Hey Ken,

The best advice I've ever heard is, "Hunt where the turkeys are."  Scouting, driving the roads looking for flocks, asking landowners and farmers where they've been seeing turkeys are all helpful efforts. Turkeys at this time of year are getting together and flock size will increase for the next several months. In most parts of the U.S. it's still pretty warm and turkeys will seek out a source of water to drink. They are also feeding regularly. Recently cut grain fields, soy beans, corn, milo or whatever grain crops are in your area are good places to scout and to shoot turkeys. If there is a lake, pond or stream, I'd also scout there.

My neighbor has been seeing large numbers of turkeys all year. His home sits on a hill overlooking my woods and he sees them go into the woods each evening to roost. That kind of information is very valuable and can save a lot of pre-season scouting that might disturb the patterns that these birds have established.

It's been my experience that birds will maintain the same patterns in the fall, if food, water and roost trees are available and if...a big if...they are not disturbed.

Lastly, in the fall, I like to break up flocks late in the evening and then be at the break site early the next day. I'll call, kee-kee a few times and usually will cause them come back in to rejoin the flock. That works better for me than anything else.

If I can't find a flock to scatter in the evening, I go to a site that I've seen birds in the past, sit and call to them. I think some birds always get separated from their flock for one reason or another and are listening for a call.

Best of luck to you and I look forward to hearing how your season goes.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 12th, 2008, 1:17 pm

Evenin' TRKYKLR .     I intend to continue my scouting right up to the end of season, which doesn;t begin until Oct. 11. My plan is to locate a flock of gobblers and try to keep track of their movements until and through the season . My mental plan is AGRESSIVE CALLING early in the mornings. Maybe start with a cluck as it begins to get light . Then move 40 to 50 yards and cluck on a different type call. I''ll then slowly move back to the previous spot and repeat the same . I want to give any gobbler listening the idea that there are two birds clucking to each other in preparation to get back together . I'll play it by ear. If a third bird gets into the conversation I'll shut up and move to one of the spots from which I have been calling from, the one closest to the third bird . Then wait until I think it's fly down time at which time I will imitate a non-vocal fly down with my wing.If it is possible to move quietly , I'll move back to the other spot from which I had called from and do another fly down. Again , if I can move undetected I'll move somewhere between my two calling spots and put on a good fight using two wings and two calls. I don't want to be closer than 100 yards from any third party bird. A hunting partner would eliminate the movement part of the plan , up to the part where the fighting starts. I've never done this before but I do believe it will work and will start opening day as such. WE'LL SEE . Maybe this note will cause you to come up with a better idea . If so please let me know. I need all the help I can get . Still learning and anxious for it .    ''oldschoolturkeytactics''

shad309

Postby shad309 » May 25th, 2010, 11:59 am

Mark,
Just wondering how this went for you?

Sorry to bring the dead to life but I spend a lot of time reading everything I can. I find the more I learn from others the better off I am even though I have spent over 25 years in the turkey woods I still don't know too much [;)]

Return to Strategies