Broadheads for turkeys

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
gimpee

Broadheads for turkeys

Postby gimpee » September 1st, 2008, 6:29 pm

I'm going out to South Dakota next April for some turkeys with my bow and wanted some input from others on what types of broadheads you have used and what works well.  I use G5's for deer hunting.  I have read quite a bit that you don't want complete passthrough with a turkey, its better for it to stay in the bird.  Is expandable the way to go?  I draw 50lbs, is that enough for an expandable to be able to open and penetrate enough of the bird?

trkyklr

RE: Broadheads for turkeys

Postby trkyklr » September 3rd, 2008, 1:54 am

ive taken several birds with my deer hunting set up in the fall 60# muzzy 100 gr heads i would say you will be fine with what you got but i will agree pass thrus make it harder to recover your bird 50# is plenty for an expandable nap spitfires would be good since their design fights against penetration it could keep your arrow in the bird    good luck this fall season

Singin

Postby Singin » September 8th, 2008, 2:26 pm

I use the Rocket HammerHeads. You can't beat a 2 in cutting diamater,

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » September 9th, 2008, 4:26 pm

I use a fixed blade snuffer 160 gran and my zipper recurve just shoots themawesome.The same set up for deer huntin....good luck,,,zipperman

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 11th, 2008, 12:50 pm

Zipperman , I see you are a traditional archer. Are you also a paddler of a red canoe?                       ''odlschoolturkeytactics''

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 12th, 2008, 6:54 am

Hey Brian,

My experience with bows is all "ancient history" now but I know a lot of guys who are passionate about the sport.

A friend of mine recently brought an expandable head that he's been shooting to show me. It's the Rage with 2 blades. It is one scary looking broadhead.

He uses carbon shafts and uses "The Block" as a practice target. He tells me that about 1/2 of the arrow penetrates "The Block" with his bow set at 50 lbs.

He's shooting a new PSE X-Force bow with a speed of 300+ fps, chronographed and only needs 1 pin out to 40 yards.

I'm sure that would pass through a turkey but it would cause enough trauma to put him out pretty quickly.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion