How to Sit

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
TurkTrot

How to Sit

Postby TurkTrot » April 24th, 2008, 5:39 am

I did my first ever hunt and found it so hard to sit still without a kink in my neck and a numb butt.  How do all of you do it? I have 2 bulging discs in my low back and some kind of issue with my neck (sets off migraines). I came up empty on this season but 2 more run until mid-May so I haven't given up.  I'm going out this weekend (April 26-27) and any suggestions would be appreciated.  I have cushion and a burlap blind and set up at trees and fencelines.  Called a group in on my first day but only had hens in my line of fire at 10 yards.  Tom was behind me. (not bad for a gal out on her first hunt and alone!) It may have been luck for me but they went off about 50 yards and I called them back in to 10-12 yards but the Tom stayed behind me.  I was using one of those Easy Yelper little bitty wooden box calls.   Flooded and rained on days 3 and 4 and not one to be seen anywhere.... 

But....how do you sit still for several hours without getting all kinked and knotted up?   

JPH

RE: How to Sit

Postby JPH » April 24th, 2008, 5:54 am

I use a self-supporting seat. You know, the kind that folds out with the back attached to the seat by adjustable straps. It has allowed me to sit comfortably in almost any set up. Thye make turkey vests that have these built in and that will be my next purchace.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 24th, 2008, 6:29 am

Check out what I use. It is called the EveRest Recliner.  It is no good for taking through thick cover, but if you know where you are going, or can go in a day ahead of time and stash it near where you plan to set up, it rules.  If you are not comfortable, you can't sit still.  I have back trouble and I can sit for hours with no problems on this bad boy.  Without it I might as well stay home.

It is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty too. I don't know if I can post the web address. If so, it is  www.GCIOutdoor.com 

I have noting to do with this company, I am just a satisfied customer.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Dank

Postby Dank » April 24th, 2008, 6:58 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I use a self-supporting seat. You know, the kind that folds out with the back attached to the seat by adjustable straps. It has allowed me to sit comfortably in almost any set up. Thye make turkey vests that have these built in and that will be my next purchace.

This is exactly what i have. This season i got a vest with the self-supporting seat. Its a Redhead, I think it is called the Turkey Lounger. Its like sitting in a chair on the ground and the way you adjust the straps on it you can set up almost anywhere regardless of how level or not the ground is. I love mine and will never be without it again, its much more comfortable than leaning against a tree but i do wish it had a little thicker pad on the seat. I even came up with the way they should advertise. it goes like this: You can sit over here, you can sit over there, now you can sit anywhere with the everywhere chair. no, but seriously get on basspro shops website and check out, it doesnt get great reviews but i cant figure out why, i even messed up and ran over mine with my truck (long story, i blame it on my girlfriend) and not only did it come out in tact but so did all but one of my slate calls. Good luck, hope this helps.
Failure is often our best teacher.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » April 24th, 2008, 6:59 am

If you can find a Epeards Turkey lounger vest get one they are super comfortable but very hard to find one. If not you can get the little stool seats with a back support built in and they too are very comfortable.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » April 24th, 2008, 8:45 am

howdy turktrot,
i use one of those seats that have the folding legs along with 2 extra cushions plus the cushion on my vest...i can sit for hours. good luck
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 11th, 2008, 1:13 pm

I also have back and neck problems. I also like to be light on my feet . Haven't found anything yet for myself that eliminates the pain COMPLETELY . Though I did pick up something this last season. There is usually tree branches lying eveywhere . When I am setting up I'll grab a limb of 2-3 inches in diameter and get it to my tree of choice, drop my cushion down and sit. Once I have found the sweet spot, I will lift the front edge of the cushion with one hand and slide the limb up under the cushion, running it from left to right . get the picture? It allows my leg muscles to be more relaxed and I don;t slide away from the tree.  GOOD LUCK                     ''oldschoolturkeytactics''

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 11th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Hey Mark,

I have also tried many different cushions, seats, etc. over the years. Unfortunately, none worked well for any long period of time. In the last few years I've become a minimalist hunter. I don't even take the cushion that was attached to my turkey vest. It's too thin to really help anyway.

I've decided that's it's almost impossible for me to sit motionless for long periods of time. I do try to clear an area before it sit and then, prior to any calling, I kind of wallow around a bit to get as comfortable as possible.

I really take some time to look around the area where I am, after I'm seated. I try to reduce movement as much as possible while I'm doing this. After I'm satisfied, by looking and listening, that no bird is in the immediate area, I'll call...be quiet...call...be quiet. If nothing is happening and I need to move a bit, I just move a bit, slowly and only after really looking around and listening.

All of that assumes that I've not heard a bird and that he's not responding to a call before I sit. If that's the case, I just try to keep my old bones as still as I can and endure the pain.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » January 15th, 2009, 9:53 pm

LOL! Well It's not easy. Comfort is very important in the Turkey woods. You need to find a comfortable seat cushin. I use a air filled cushin that has a release valve and a strut seat to put it on. I have seen some seats that have a seat back built into them and they are very comfortable. Before season opens try out a few seats and cushins and sit in them for long periods of time to see if they work for you. Sometimes what feels comfortable for a few minutes changes after about an hour or so. Good luck!

shaman

Postby shaman » January 20th, 2009, 2:29 am

I carry to light foam pads. One goes under the butt. One goes against the tree.

In the places I know I'm going to hunt, I often pre-position camo boat cushions.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Next

Return to Strategies