Fall Gobblers.....

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
scotty234_3

Fall Gobblers.....

Postby scotty234_3 » April 26th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Greetings from Bahgdad fellow Turkey hunters,
 First off, Great Site!!! Now, down to buisness it is now the time I live for, and Im here in Baghdad. I didnt think Id miss the Spring Season asmuch as I have. Im now looking to get a few shots off on some Fall Gobblers, but have never hunted turkeys in the Fall. Any advice or Tactics would greatly be apprieated. Have a safe season and good luck....

santoll

RE: Fall Gobblers.....

Postby santoll » April 27th, 2008, 5:46 pm

If your looking for some fun turkey hunting, fall can be a blast.  It is a bit less exciting without those long beards sounding off but a good time none the less.  Since their all flocked up, it can be easy to get yourself a fall bird.  Seeing the general direction a flock is heading in at night can put you in a prime position for some birds in the morning.  As soon as dawn hits, I do some Kee-kees by just whistling.  Using that and my box call have scored me plenty of birds as they think I am the dominant hen and younger birds being round up.  I even use some hen decoys which have helped. 
If you stumble upon a flock out of range or just not cooperating, don't be scared to charge in and scatter them.  Waiting a half hour will give them time to get lonely and run into your kee kees and yelps. 
I have shot a fall tom but mostly by accident or intense scouting as they as just not that vocal and mosltly with other toms in the fall.  At least that's in my experience.
Not sure if this was that helpful but hope you can get something out of this rabble.  Hurry home and good hunting!

Lorenzo

scotty234_3

Postby scotty234_3 » April 27th, 2008, 7:51 pm

Lorenzo,
  Thank you for the advise. Im new at turkey hunting andgot my first bird but stumbling on him. I must say that this sport has made a huge impact in my life and I wish to pass it on to anyone want to benefit from it. Im open to any advise anyone gives me, again thanks for the fall tips. Ill definately put em into prctice this season.
         Scott

santoll

Postby santoll » April 28th, 2008, 6:22 pm

No problem on what little advice I can offer.  The main thing to realize is that the females and younger birds are joining flocks that can be as small as 7 birds and as big as forty.  As such, you don't have the trouble of locating just one bird.  Hitting an open field (especially in the rain) can land you multiple oppertunities for a score. 
From what I've seen, most people are content with a good hen in the fall. 
Since birds want to instinctively gather together you can try to be the boss hen and call a bunch to you early in the morning or after you've scattered a big group.  If you haven't heard it, look up the kee kee, its a great fall call.  If not, a box call's simple yelps and clucks will get the job done.  Since mating season is only in the spring, toms are a lot less vocal and harder to find in the fall. 

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 30th, 2008, 12:32 pm

I just started using the computer , and am very slow at picking up the trade . the short time I have been checking out this site has been really interesting.seems to be people of all ages .concerning fall gobblers , I recall a few years back , while squirrel hunting , I stood perfectly still for about 30 minutes . suddenly the woods came alive with greys .you could say that they had me surrounded . I stood in one spot and dropped 3 in about 5 minutes .I waited awhile  but the rest had taken cover , so I started moving about slowly to pick up my prize . it was very dry and noisy . well this gobbler evidently heard my movement and began to cluck loudly . he was on the opposite side of the ridge but could be heard clearly . finally he came strolling over the top where I could see him . just before he came into sight I laid down flat on the ground . he stopped and looked around for just a moment and then proceeded on down the ridge clucking loudly about every ten yards . WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THIS? well this is just a piece of what I think . years ago when I first heard of incorporating the four stroke scratch into the calling sequence I thought this was the greatest thing since breech loading firearms . WHAT ONE THING DO TURKEYS DO EVERY DAY ? MORE THAN ANYTHING ELSE THEY SCRATCH!   a god friend of mine has a cabin down in his woods . two years in a row , just prior to spring season he went down to rake the cabin yard . two years in a row he had a gang of gobblers  start gobbling like crazy . three seasons back I was starting my youngest son who was 28 . opening morning after the birds hit the ground , I scratched the ground to pull those two longbeards in for a shot . I did it alot because they could not see me behind that huge oak . my son sat on the side of the tree and he could see their every movement and see them gobble. I could not see the birds but I could see the effect they were having on my son as he sat there shaking all over.there are times when one can not call too much or too loud , BUT , I am still learning and tend to believe LESS IS MORE when it comes to turkey talk , but I doubt that one could scratch too much . but you do need to be set up properly or they will SEEyou doing the scratching .   ''OLD SCHOOL TURKEY TACTICS''

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 7th, 2008, 9:42 am

8:oo AM            WHEAT STUBBLE FIELD   LONGBEARDS ,SUPERJAKES AND JAKES,,,,, 13 BIRDS . COM'ON OCTOBER 11. ''OLDSCHOOLTURKEYTACTICS''

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 7th, 2008, 12:29 pm

[font=arial]hey guys this is mark hay's wife look out he is on a mission and this guy lives ,sleeps,and eats turkey. i can hear the turkey calling in my sleep if all of you are this bad look out turkey birds. just one thing fall season don't last very long so you go honey get them birds.

Return to Fall Hunting