What do you use?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

What do you use?

Postby allaboutshooting » August 27th, 2008, 8:27 am

I'm interested to know what other shooters and hunters use to clean their guns and how they go about it.

If you'd share what products you use, solvents, oils, etc. and how you use them, I think it would be both interesting and informative.

I understand that this may seem to be a very simple procedure and basic to what we do but I still run into shooters who either don't really clean their guns or want to know the best procedure.

I have one that I use and recommend but I'd really be interested to hear about yours.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Steve_In

RE: What do you use?

Postby Steve_In » August 27th, 2008, 4:31 pm

In my 10 bore ML I use Murphys Oil Soap and water, about 30/70.  I follow that with WD-40 or Klenz Oil.  In modern stuff I use Hoppe's followed by WD-40.  In modern shotgun 100 rounds would be a big year.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » August 28th, 2008, 1:46 am

rem oil & hoppes

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » August 28th, 2008, 9:04 am

I've only ever used Hoppe's 9

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » August 28th, 2008, 1:00 pm

Hi Clark, how ya been? What I use is Hoppes, and I luv the smell, sorta like a fresh bottle of doe urine, know what I mean? As far as how I use it, well, just like ya told me. A deep cleaning brought 20 more pellets into the turkeys neck at 40yds.

Good Luck, God Bless, and Stay Safe!
                                                      L.K.Leslie
                                       Hoosier Hunter Custom Calls
                                       Mossy Oak Pro Staff 

grizzly

Postby grizzly » August 31st, 2008, 1:02 pm

rem-oil and hoppes 9 .  just putting it out there i think i read some where that's it not good to use wd40 on guns because it gums up the trigger works

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 1st, 2008, 5:40 am

It's good to hear from you all!

I really appreciate your taking the time to respond and share what and how you take care of your guns.

Murphy's Oil Soap is a new one, at least for me, for ML guns. Hoppe's and Rem Oil are certainly old favorites that have stood the test of time. WD-40 has had its supporters and detractors over the years but you'll still find it on a lot of work benches.

I really like to hear what folks use and how they use them. For me it's just one more of the many interesting things about shooting and hunting.

I hope more folks will share with us what they use and how they use it.

Thanks again,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 1st, 2008, 12:03 pm

hello allaboutshooting , I use KROIL in my centerfire and rimfires . My charcoal burners I clean thoroughly with hot water then dry them immediately inside and out . Once they are dry I coat the inside and out both with BORE BUTTER . I never put petroleum on anything burning black powder . Never have any rust or resdue . My shotguns I soak the bore with OUTERS NITRO SOLVENT and let stand a while . Then I work a bronze brush through the bore for several minutes. Then I wipe clean with wet patches of the same solvent until they come out clean . When clean I wipe dry to remove the solvent then run an oiled patch up and down the bore until I am sure ALL the bore is coated . My centerfire , rimfire andshotguns all get HOPPES gun oil on the outside .hope this is of help to you .    ''OLD SCHOOL TURKEY TACTICS''

Return to Shooting