Rain = no turkey??

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
GearJammer

Rain = no turkey??

Postby GearJammer » August 9th, 2008, 10:23 am

I have been scouting a particular place with much anticipation for the fall season. There have been numerous signs of a good population including lots of tracks and turkey scat. What I noticed today was that after a big rain like we had last night, the turkey don't seem to move around or forage the day after it rains. Is this normal after a rain or am I making something out of nothing? It just seems like when it rains they disappear! I was just wondering if they stayed in tight after a rain. Thanks for the help!
"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

zipperman351

RE: Rain = no turkey??

Postby zipperman351 » August 10th, 2008, 6:08 am

Turkeys are out there 24/7 and the rain just makes them stay in the trees longer.But they just move as much as any other day,open fields are good after the rain..good huntin...zipperman

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » August 10th, 2008, 6:26 am

Good call Zipperman! I have hunted in many states, and in many different weather conditions, and rain has little, if any, affect on turkeys. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about very severe weather such as heavy thunderstorms, lightning, and very high winds. In fact, it has been my experience that rain has a tendency to remove insect life from trees, and I've witnessed many turkeys gathering beneath trees where the vegetation is limited to have a feast.
                                                     GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS and STAY SAFE
                                                                       L.K.LESLIE  

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » August 10th, 2008, 8:14 am

Gear Jammer here in the east where I reside I have always seen more turkeys after a rainfall especially out in the fields if I'm huting in light to moderate rain a field is where i'm concentrating most of my efforts. As long as it's not really high vegetation. Basically I'm preety much just confirming what Zip and Hoosier said. I don't hunt in lightning but thunder is a good locator call. thanks to mother nature. Merriman the prettiest long beard by far...
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » August 11th, 2008, 2:41 am

around here in southern tn sometimes when it rains the birds hang out on old logging roads 4 wheeler trails & other clearings in the woods they create an open area with a  canopy to help keep the rain off of them so if you dont see them in the feilds after/during the rain check out one of these honeyholes you might be glad that you did

GearJammer

Postby GearJammer » August 11th, 2008, 3:20 pm

Ok...good deal guys! Thanks for all the greaat info! I was hopin' I wasn't right...LOL

"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » August 18th, 2008, 11:24 am

I think a lot has to do with what time of year the rain is falling and how prolonged and intense it is.

A light spring morning shower is nothing and will only hold the birds on the limb a little while longer than usual.  I have also seen mid-morning hailstorms run them right back up into the trees, but almost as soon as it was over, the birds were on the ground in open areas. If they are calling for rain, it is worth hunting somewhere open you can see, 'cause that's what the birds will be doing too.

I have scouted in a covered deer stand after getting caught during some of those heavy, soaking rains in the middle of winter, & I have yet to see a bird.  But the next day when the front moves out, turkeys make up for lost time & I see them moving around everywhere in sunny spots trying to dry out & warm up. 

Jim

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » August 30th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I personally like a little sometimes while hunting especially when things are slow. The turkeys really hit the feilds in the rain and i have had a lot of success in the rain and right after a rain in both spring and fall.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 3rd, 2008, 1:28 pm

MAN WAS IT HOT TODAY !!   Down  in Adams Co. , in the public hunting area , which I refer to as the big playground , it was all old farms with little fields scattered all over the area . There ain't a flat spot on the  place . Some of the fields are down low and surrounded by big timber . some of the fields are farmed now but most are starting to grow over pretty bad . If it is raining or even a bright sunny day with stiff winds you can count on birds being out in those fields somewhere . Killed my first two fall jakes in a little field , maybe 3 acres , but it lays down very low and borders a 15 ft. wide steam and old timber . The weather was identical though a year apart, very windy. That wind also covers any noise and masks movement . I have to admit that I've been itching for fall season since spring season ended , but since I've been reading and commenting on this site with y'all , my fever is getting pretty high in anticipation of OCTOBER 11 .  LATER    ''OLD SCHOOL TURKEY TACTICS''

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » September 8th, 2008, 3:22 am

Where are you that it is considered Fall in the first week of September?  More power to you if you can Turkey hunt then though.

After Tropical Storm Hannah blew through here (N.C.) I had a Hen & one of her poults come through my back yard.  It was nice to see 'em.  I was looking for them yesterday, but if they showed up it was when I was gone.

My Bad, I just re-read the previous post and it was about scouting for the October 11 Opener.
Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion