FAR FECHED...BUT MAYBE

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
HILLBILLY

FAR FECHED...BUT MAYBE

Postby HILLBILLY » August 10th, 2008, 3:14 pm

THIS WOULD BE A GOOD ONE FOR THE ''MYTH BUSTERS''. AN OLD TIMER WHO HAS HUNTED TURKEYS ALL HIS LIFE( SO HE SAYS) TOLD ME THIS AND IN SOME WAYS IT SEEMS TO MAKE SENSE AND IN OTHER WAYS IT SEEMS WAY OUT THERE SO HERE GOES. IF YOU HAVE A TOM ROOSTED AND YOU'RE A LITTLE LATE GETTING THERE(and I dare anybody to say that's never happened to me), THE TOM IS STILL IN THE TREE BUT HE'LL BE ON THE GROUND BEFORE YOU CAN GET INTO POSITION, THE OLD MAN SAID USE A COYOTE CALL AND THEN MAKE YOUR APROACH FROM THE OPPISITE DIRCTION. THE OLD MAN SAYS THE YOTE CALL WILL DO TWO THINGS. #1 KEEP THE TOM ON THE ROOST LONGER(giving you time to circle around him) AND #2 WHEN HE DOES FLY DOWN HE'LL GO AWAY FROM WHERE HE HEARD THE COYOTE, THUS TOWARD YOUR SET UP. HE WENT ON TO SAY THAT THE DOWN SIDE TO THIS WAS THAT THE TOM WILL MOST LIKELY GO SILENT.  EVEN THOUGH HE'LL COME TO YOUR CALLS, HE PROBIBLY WON'T BE GOBBLIN. SO THERE IT IS FELLERS WHAT DO YA THINK? IS IT POSSIBLE OR BULLS#*% ? I'VE HEARD SOME DOOZIES OVER THE YEARS THIS IS THE FIRST ONE I'VE HEARD THAT SOUNDED JUST AS CRAZY AS IT DID LOGICAL.
MAKIN A LIVIN' SIX INCHES FROM HELL

hoosierhunter

RE: FAR FECHED...BUT MAYBE

Postby hoosierhunter » August 11th, 2008, 1:25 am

Well Hillbilly, I can just tell your gonna be a lot fun to have around,and I mean that respectfully!
       That sounds like some advice my grandpap, from southern W.Va., would have gave me before he passed. When grandpap gave advice about the woods, you listened, cause he knew what he was talkin about. He too was a miner, and when he went huntin he was actually goin to the grocery store, cause thats where the majority of the meat came from, the woods.
       Hillbilly, if read some of my ramblings on this forum, you'll find that what you just described is what I consider the tactic of a turkey killer, as opposed to a turkey hunter. I for one, am going to use your tactic, the next time I'm late to turkey town. If you don't mind,and with your permission of course, I think I'll name the tactic,"The Coyote Double Cross."
                                                             Thanks Hillbilly and keep em comin!

GOOD LUCK,GOD BLESS, and STAY SAFE!
                                                                                        L.K.LESLIE     

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » August 11th, 2008, 2:50 am

it could work on occasion there is a never ending list of strategies that will work on a particular bird some have not yet been thought of some are crazier than others & some text book  but they can all work under the right situation / conditions you never know till you try the theory i live by is (bump'em or kill'em)

GearJammer

Postby GearJammer » August 11th, 2008, 3:11 pm

LOL...I hafta say...I got a good chuckle myself when reading that. Not to say it isn't possible, but I hope I don't have to resort to that trick..errr I mean tactic...LOL. Good luck!
"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 12th, 2008, 2:10 pm

I doesn't seem too fear fetched to me .But as was already said , what worked today may not work tomorrow. I for one use the howl in the spring. I have had toms shock gobble at the howl in the late evening and early in the morning . Three years ago during the youth season I was out just to listen from the road. didn't have any idea I was close to any birds until this female song dog started a bark -howl session . there were at least three gobblers that shock gobbled several times at that dog. glad I was there to hear it . NOW ! This is going to sound FAR FETCHED! Opening day last spring, two of my sons  and I were deep in the timber 1 hour before the sky showed any tint of light . We were in there the evening before and saw 1 longbeard. We stayed until it was dark and hit the barred owl with no results . We wanted to get a gobble for the following morning. As we started to leave I pulled out my diaphram howler[ I am also an avid caller of coyotes ] and gave a shrill , high pitched lone howl. I hadn't finished before the ole boy gobbled. The boys both showed me all of their teeth with big smiles.The following morning was a repeat of the previous evening.The barred owl had no effect. When I heard the first crow I tried that,,,nothing. I repeated the same howl I had used before and again was interrupted by the gobbler. We got set up and believe it or not , 12 birds came to the loud mouthed hen I portrayed. My oldest son dropped a 3 year old that was avoiding a fight with another bird . We all might have filled tags that morning if the oldest hadn't jumped up and ran to his bird. If you don't believe this, thats OK. I was there  , I saw it all , and I have the memory of a very fine hunt that may never be matched again by me.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » September 13th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Hey Mark,

One of the great things about hunting turkeys is the strange things that happen to us in the woods.

There are so many things that may work to help us locate or attract birds. We just never know unless we try. I think that many times we take hunting so seriously that we don't try something new.

An old turkey hunter that I knew believed in the "turkey bubble". He described that bubble as anyplace a bird had recently been and had left of his own accord. In his theory, if you could get to that place that a turkey just left, the bubble, he'd be easy to call back. I've had it work and at other times it did not.

I think at times almost any tactic will work and at others, nothing works. That's why it's called "hunting".

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 14th, 2008, 4:15 am

Morning!      When you put it that way, the bubble that is , I  have seen it too and with more than just turkeys.  I have hunted with many fellows that seem to be embarrassed or afraid to make some calls while hunting. I really don't know whether it stems from fear of messing up the call or fear of having another hunter hear them and possibly make a so-called not so good sound pertaining to the call given. When I first started , and made up my mind to give it as much attention and study the details and art of turkey hunting and calling ,I also settled in my own mind that I didn't mind what anyone else might think of my calling . I ain't afraid to try something new . When we mess up a given set up by trying something different we should learn from it and go on. On the other hand I recall times I wished I had tried something instead of just sitting there hoping . I like to think of my style of hunting as AGGRESSIVE TURKEY HUNTING, which doesn't necessarily mean aggressive calling. When it comes to calling I try to get a feel of the situation at hand by how the bird or birds are responding . Sometimes I call hot and heavy, mostly though it is soft and quiet. I also keep reminding myself that I don't know it all and am still learning.   Later.     ''OLDSCHOOLTURKEYTACTICS''

Return to Strategies