Any Trap Shooters?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

Any Trap Shooters?

Postby allaboutshooting » August 1st, 2008, 5:31 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a post here about trap shooting. Are there any trap shooters here? The Grand American Trap Shooting Championship (The Grand) starts next week in Sparta, IL. Over 100,000 folks will attend over the 10 days of the shoot.

This morning I visited the World Shooting Complex in Sparta and watched some of the scholastic shooters who participated in the U.S. Open. I understand that about 2100 young shooters will participate in this event over the next 3 days. They shoot both sporting clays and trap. Part of the future of our shooting sports.

Just curious about how many if any trap shooters there are here and if any have attended the Grand.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Steve_In

RE: Any Trap Shooters?

Postby Steve_In » August 1st, 2008, 8:22 pm

2100 youths, that is great.  If they just shot 1 25 bird round each that would be over a ton & half of shot!  I don't shoot much more than an occasional backyard round.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 2nd, 2008, 7:16 am

Hey Steve,

They had about 400 shooting sporting clays yesterday and today.

The Grand begins on Wednesday and some 39,000 trap shooters are expected to participate in those events over the 10 day period. All together, there will be 100,000+ people there, shooters, spectators and supporters.

The trap range itself is 3.5 miles long! It's an amazing place.

Thanks,
Clark

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » August 2nd, 2008, 2:48 pm

Clark I always wanted to go when it was at Vandalia Oh.  About a 3 hour drive but never made it.  3-1/2 miles must be something to see.  I would imagine almost any thing related to shotguns is available.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

GearJammer

Postby GearJammer » August 3rd, 2008, 4:57 am

Hey Clark. I'm not trying to hijack your thread but I don't shoot as much trap as I do skeet. I know alot of guys don't cross over from skeet to trap or vice versa but I have always thought skeet to be more fun because it seems more challenging and also more social. When you are shooting skeet, you get a chance to talk and cut up with the other shooters. Just my opinion. All that matters is that I get a chance to burn some powder...no matter which shotgun sport I choose. LOL.
"The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets" Charleton Heston

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 3rd, 2008, 7:46 pm

Hey Steve,

It's quite a site to see a trap fields that long and all of them occupied. There are certainly a lot of vendors there. Many have been "setting up shop" at the Grand for 20+ years. They are from all over the US and other countries.

It's a good chance to see the latest guns from a number of companies, meet the representatives and ask any quetions you might have. There are also some of the best gunsmiths in the US who attend. I know one who will take home a trailer load of guns to work on over the next several months, plus a lot of work is done right on site.

The major gun makers have smiths there to keep shooter's guns running. I've seen them rush in from the line with only 15 minutes or so before they have to be back and get guns repaired. Pretty quick service!

Thanks,
Clark

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » August 3rd, 2008, 7:55 pm

I understand about the trap/skeet cross-over. I started out shooting trap, then went to skeet, went to sporting clays and finally to still target shooting. I enjoy all of them. I find sporting to be the most social however. With that game you have a lot of time between stations and can actually watch your fellow shooters at each station. It's always a great learning experience for me.

I also agreee that no matter what the sport, just being able to get out and shoot is most of the fun!

Thanks,
Clark

Return to Shooting