let the big boys walk

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
trkyklr

let the big boys walk

Postby trkyklr » July 11th, 2008, 9:33 am

anybody ever thought about letting the long beards walk in the fall & gettin' revenge on those bird stealin' hens ? i've been doing it for about 5/6 years now & i think/know that i have more noise makers in the spring i dont have as many silent mornings & hens dont have any fat on them @ all          TASTY!

Morgan

RE: let the big boys walk

Postby Morgan » July 24th, 2008, 1:39 am

Well...when opportunity knocks...I gotta answer the door...be it longbeard or beardless....[:D]
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » July 30th, 2008, 3:32 am

I would like to think that I would.  Since I'm new to the game and I only have 2 jakes notched, It is going to be really hard to let the big guys walk (provided, of course, I can even get them in).  I think I am going to dedicate the fall season to hens only.  Every jake/tom I don't shoot in the fall is one more I might get a crack at in the spring. 

My biggest "concern" was to just getting my 1st bird.  Now that that's done, I guess I can get picky.

Doc

jmmturkey

Postby jmmturkey » July 31st, 2008, 12:23 pm

Let the big boys walk? Not me. I hunt for them. Tougher to get them in range, but I enjoy the challenge.

TurkeyMo

Postby TurkeyMo » July 31st, 2008, 12:26 pm

I hunt with a bow in the fall in wide open territory.  If something (by that I mean an adult turkey) happens to actually get close enough, I take it.  All turkeys taste good to me!

goggle

Postby goggle » August 1st, 2008, 4:41 am

I have taken a hen in the fall when no gobbler has came by. I have to say it wasn't as rewarding as taking a gobbler . Kind of like taking a doe or buck fawn. Can't say I'd do it again.

turkey hunter

Postby turkey hunter » August 1st, 2008, 5:13 am

hens make great wing bone calls ,very tasty,nuff said

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » August 2nd, 2008, 7:14 am

Gobblers make great wall mounts or a addition to the beard board.
Hunting toms in the fall is a art I wouldn't let one walk.

tomturkey

Postby tomturkey » August 5th, 2008, 4:47 am

I live hunt in Indiana, and we have alimited fall season in certain counties.  My hunting area is in those areas, and I plan on hunting this fall.  My hunting buddy and I are going to try and take a hen for the purpose of management for the spring season.  We count at least 20-25 hens in the fall together and 5-8 longbeards on the one property.  We think that taking a hen or 2 will not hurt the population bad, and give us a better oportunity in the spring.  As far as letting a longbeard walk is probably not going to happen, sine I will be using my bow.  Great idea, just hard to implement.   
have fun and be safe

Mushunt

Postby Mushunt » August 5th, 2008, 3:11 pm

I love to have them come in gobbling and strutt'n but to harvest a long beard in the fall seprates the chief from the indians it's tuff. I have no desire to harvest a hen but to each his own. I have to agree with Ronnie [cuz] Strickland NOBODY PASSES ON A LONG BEARD!

Next

Return to Fall Hunting