Nothing to lose

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
MAKEemQUIVER

Nothing to lose

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » June 15th, 2008, 1:53 pm

What is a tactic that  you all have used when nothing else will work. A situation where it is now or never and there isn't no tomorrow. I once had a bird hang up in a field about 60 yards out and wouldn't come no closer no matter what i did. Finally when he had enough and was leaving i Spit-n-Drummed with my voice. The first time i done it he raised his head up, the next time he folded into half strut and i shot him at about 35 yards. Just wandering about some of the things you all have done in a back to the wall situation.

Cut N Run

RE: Nothing to lose

Postby Cut N Run » June 15th, 2008, 4:06 pm

I had one Turkey that would hang up on one side of a power lines on a logging road where he could look across to the other side of the power lines where it was pretty open.  The side he was on was so thick that I couldn't possibly set up on his side and have room to swing my shotgun. The only thing I could hope for was that he would go out to the powerlines (something he had yet to do in 3 times I hunted there), or set up in the thick stuff and get him on the way down the logging road taking a 5 yard shot or less & hoping he didn't bust me before he got to my set-up (these trees are about the diameter of pool cues and only slightly taller).

I ended up teaming up with the guy who owns the property and we set him up close to the powerlines along the logging road in a "foxhole" created from a tree that up-rooted decades ago which left a huge crater beside the creek.  I positioned myself 25 yards farther up the creek & slightly behind the shooter to try to call the Gobbler within range of my friend. We heard birds gobbling way up the hill early on, but nothing close by.  About 9 or so, I cutt on my old Lynch box call and right across the powerlines a Gobbler boomed back.  He gobbled about 45 times and true to form refused to get any closer. I could not even see the bird from my position.  I eased down into the creek and turned my back to make it sound like the hen was going away.  I sat against a dogwood that had 4 trees growing from one stump that made good cover and a decent vantage point.  About that time, I saw the Gobbler in full strut easing toward the decoys.  My trick had worked! I kept expecting my buddy's 1100 to roar because the Turkey was 25 yards from him...Nothing!  The Gobbler strutted all out in front of him, it was close enough for me to shoot, but I could see Kevin holding his shotgun up in the right direction.  I knew it would just be a matter of time before the BOOM.  The Turkey turned back toward the powerlines and the logging road.  I looked at my friend who was signaling me that some vines were in his way preventing a clear shot.  I got back on the Lynch, turned toward the creek, and played a pleading series of cutts & yelps.  That Gobbler almost ran back into a load of #6s from Kevin's 1100.  It was his first longbeard and it took almost an hour from the first gobble until we collected that bird.

That was as nerve wracking a turkey hunt as I have been on. Kevin was going out of town the next week and I did not have permission to be on the property without him at that time. So it was do or die that Saturday.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

olesmoky12

Postby olesmoky12 » June 15th, 2008, 5:43 pm

That is one of best tricks in the book. Something else I try on a bird that hangs up is using a gobble tube. I know it can be dangerous but I had it to work this past spring. If the bird your hunting is the boss he's not going to like another swinging beard sounding off in his back yard.
I had this bird make me look pretty stupid for four days. I tried calling him from every angle but he would not come in close enough for a shot. On the fifth day I used only a gobble tube and closed the deal a couple hours later.

I think it drove him crazy thinking that there was another gobbler moving in on him.
Olesmoky

JPH

Postby JPH » June 16th, 2008, 2:25 pm

First of all,do not try this at home! I did this on private land where I was the only hunter and I was in open ground, where I could see in every direction.

I had followed a "call shy" gobbler to the edge of a large CRP. I could see him standing in the open. He had moved away evey time I called him, so I laid on my belly in the tall grass, held my hen decoy out in front of me and crawled into the field. After 50 yds, when I dared not crawl any closer, I rocked the decoy and made a sereies of soft yelps. The gobbler committed and strutted to within 5 yds before I shot him from under the belly of my deke.

I admit that it could be a dangerous move. I would never suggest it unless you are very confidant that you have the place to yourself.

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » June 17th, 2008, 5:18 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

held my hen decoy out in front of me and crawled into the field. 

Holy crap.  That move takes some stones.  Great idea though. 

Doc

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » June 28th, 2008, 5:56 am

Those are some pretty awesome stories and some great ideas. Thanks for the responses guys.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » June 28th, 2008, 5:45 pm

Unfortunately, one can never be certain that he has a place to himself.  Not a major reason why I don't use decoys, but, in my opinion, a sufficient one.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

JPH

Postby JPH » June 30th, 2008, 3:20 am

ORIGINAL: silvestris

Unfortunately, one can never be certain that he has a place to himself.

True, but the same can be said in regard to calling or even moving. We do accept some degree of risk when we engage in a hunt.

Not that I advocate the move that I used as a common tactic. I do not.

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » June 30th, 2008, 6:03 pm

JPH!! Was that a young bird that you ambushed? Good move though...
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

JPH

Postby JPH » July 1st, 2008, 9:00 am

ORIGINAL: Gobblernut

JPH!! Was that a young bird that you ambushed?

No. He was 23 lbs. with 1 -3/16" spurs and double beards of 11.5" & 8.5". From my journal entry of May 1, 2006.

And for the record, I do not consider that to be an ambush. Not that I am above that, but I used the decoy, manuver and minimal calling to lure him to me.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion