Listening post

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Cut N Run

Listening post

Postby Cut N Run » March 2nd, 2012, 12:14 pm

This morning I got up early to go listen for gobblers near the swamp at the back of the farm where my wife keeps her horse. I heard three fairly faint gobbles from the higher ground between the channels in the swamp, the same place I heard them last Spring. It was music to my ears. He's probably following hens around all day right now. The breeze picked up a half hour after dawn, making it difficult to hear anything clearly. About 3/4ths of a mile away from there, I found more than a few places that were freshly kicked up near where a grove of holly trees meets some beech trees beside the creek where there used to be an old still. I only saw hen droppings there, but I'm sure with that much hen activity, a gobbler will come around if they continue to hang out there. There's a stone-lined fire pit that has an old barrel beside it and lots of old brown glass gallon jugs lying around. I'm considering using the fire pit as a ground blind. Why not?

Probably the best thing is it was still too cool for mosquitoes to be out in force. I saw a few Wood Ducks, some Ringneck Ducks a pair of Mallards & some Canada Geese come off the swamp. I also saw a gang of 9 deer trot past within range, most likely the same ones I saw during archery season that stayed too far to shoot. I sure could tell they knew the hunting season was over.

It was a great way to spend a few hours and it only got me more fired up for turkey season. Every day is getting closer.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

camo_junkie0611

Re: Listening post

Postby camo_junkie0611 » March 2nd, 2012, 2:11 pm

Man...that is exciting that you are already hearing gobblers in your neck of the woods! Over here in TN they haven't gotten fired up yet but I did see a tom lurking close by some hens on a gas pipeline greenbelt by my house this morning. He had that look about him that says, "How you doin'?"... ;). He was a big 'un, too...I'd say a solid 10 or 11" beard. But unfortunately I can't hunt him because the land belongs to the local Elk's Lodge and from what I understand they only allow members to hunt there. Anyway, I do plan on heading out to my hunting land this weekend and posting up on a ridge that has a hollow on either side that extend about a mile down into a hardwood river bottom. It's a great place to listen for gobbling birds and to start formulating a game plan.

Best of luck to you this year!
Good luck to y'all!
Camo_junkie
---------------------------------------------

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » March 2nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Good news, Jim. I'm hoping to head out middle of next week for some listening.

dewey

Postby dewey » March 2nd, 2012, 8:59 pm

Sounds like you had a great day in the woods Jim! The fire pit sounds like it would make a perfect ground blind.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 3rd, 2012, 8:00 am

The pit blind sounds like a great idea. All game should be used to it's presence as it's been there for a long time. Wildlife photographers are fond of pit blinds to get them extra close to their subjects.

Many times over the years I wish I had some pit blinds as I watched turkeys frequent areas that were otherwise inaccessible.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 3rd, 2012, 1:39 pm

That pit is about half-way down the ridge near the edge of the holly trees. It would make sense to be able to see close to the ground as thick as those holly trees grow. There wouldn't be much of a shot opportunity there, but the turkeys sure wouldn't expect anyone to be after 'em in there. The trick would be getting to that site quietly without getting busted. The creek bottom is a maze of green briars about 10 feet tall.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » March 4th, 2012, 2:07 am

Thats awesome Jim! I have been hearing a few gobbles in the mornings but nothing to ride home about. Its still early and I'll go insane if I get to fired up about it lol
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » March 20th, 2012, 9:27 am

I started the morning on the ridge by the back pasture gate, same place as before. The small birds got going and the crows fired up just past dawn, but I didn't hear a single gobble. I eased back near the swamp and saw a lot of places where the leaves were kicked up. I found a few hen droppings and a feather, but no gobbler sign. A line of thunderstorms blew through here around 4:45 this morning and may have quieted the turkeys down, is all I could figure. I eased uphill toward the back pasture and saw a lone hen across the bottom on the neighboring property. She was just standing there, maybe drying off in the opening(?). As I got back towards the ridge, I saw a big gobbler strutting near the edge of the old roadbed. I backed off, left him alone, & will check that strut zone for a good place to set up within range. I may have something for him later.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » March 21st, 2012, 8:34 pm

Sounds like that bird might be in trouble Jim. I havent been out listening yet but have been watching two gobblers that have been hanging out on a farm that I can hunt. Still following 8 or 9 hens right now but by the time the 14th rolls around I think they will be ready to hear a new hen ;) .

dewey

Postby dewey » March 22nd, 2012, 10:49 pm

So this morning I am getting my two year old son out of the car to go to his daycare when I hear a gobble. I look around but don't see anything so I assume it is freeway noise, freeway is about 200 yards away. Then as I got the little man out I hear another gobble. After this one I know it is a gobbler somewhere. So I am carrying the little man in and I look over and there is a jake walking across the parking lot and gobbling.

Little man immediately says "turkey" I then say what do we do to turkeys he then says "shoot them!". That was a great way to start the day.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion