sights

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allaboutshooting

RE: Sights

Postby allaboutshooting » June 21st, 2008, 2:46 pm

Hey Joe,

I shoot a variety of shotguns, some with scopes and some without. I've tried a lot of fiber optic sights over the years, some good, some not so good.

I've also tried a whole series of red/green dot sights, that range from the first generation Bushnell Holo sight up to some of the more modern variable reticle "dot" sights. I know that a lot of folks really like them and I've used some for several seasons but they are just not for me, when I hunt.

I also have shot/shoot a variety of telescopic sights on my shotguns. I use them for still target shooting, card shooting, etc. and really like them for that. I shoot several Leupolds and a variety of others. I really think some of the best bargains today come from Simmons (the fixed 4 power diamond reticle) and some of the BSA scopes.

For turkey hunting, I usually just use beads. Since last September I've been shooting a Winchester SX3 as much as possible, fall and spring turkey hunts included. It's light, quick and fits me as well as any gun I shoot.

A scope can have an advantage, in my opinion, if it allows you to better judge distance. The diamond reticle scope is an example. It has a built in "range finder". To me the disadvantage of any scope is added weight and they can make a gun top heavy and keep it from balancing in your hand.

The sight that intrigues me most is the new Burris Speed Bead sight. If you've not looked at that one, you can find it here: http://www.swfa.com/c-2178-burris-speed ... stems.aspx

That's a very light sight that would not effect the balance of your gun (if they make one for yours) and has several advantages over some others, due to the way it mounts to the gun.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Postby Guest » June 23rd, 2008, 7:19 am

I am like Clark in the fact that I prefer to hunt with twin beads. The True Glow Magnum Gobble Dot sights are one of the best on the market. You can never go wrong with a Leupold scope in my opinion. If you have some deeper pockets I really think one of the Holo type sights from Eotech or Trijicon would be a great set up for a Turkey hunting shot gun. Just my $.02

cuttin man

Postby cuttin man » June 23rd, 2008, 1:03 pm

I prefer a low power scope.  I personally use a Leupold 1-4 power scope @ 2 power.  This setup allows me to shoot in extremely low light and and to keep a super tight pattern headed where I want.  Good luck with your choice and let me know what you choose.

matchbook454

Postby matchbook454 » June 23rd, 2008, 4:10 pm

Thanks for your help guys!  I really like the Eotech but I don't like the $$$.   I think that I'll either go with the Tru Glow Magnum Gobble Dot or a low powert scope with a diamond plex type recticle.

MAK

Postby MAK » July 22nd, 2008, 8:09 am

I have 2 - 870's one has a  2X Simmons Pro diamond mounted on it - and is the gun I carry the most. My old eyes appreciate the diamond. I have a Tru glow gobble dot on the other one and carry it in wet weather.

The fixed power Simmons is a range finder - 40 yard - top of head to base of beard - is worth the added weight. 

jscutler

Postby jscutler » August 19th, 2008, 11:30 am

Hey folks,

Wondering if you can help me out. I'm writing a (fiction) book that involves a wild turkey hunting scene and I want to make sure I get the details right.

My scene takes place at dusk or preferably at night.

I wondering if it is realistic to be turkey hunting at night and if so what kind of equipment would be used. I'd like the hunter to be using some kind of scope or sight. Also I'm not sure what kind of rifle/shotgun would be used with that.

Any authentic details or assistance you can provide are much appreciated.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » August 20th, 2008, 2:41 am

fiber optic rifle sights cant be beat in my opinion

DMP

sights

Postby DMP » March 17th, 2009, 10:53 am

Ive got the factory bead sights on my 835 (older one) and ive had people tell me that I need to take the back sight off.  Ive always lined the two beads up and bam but have been told id bet better patterns with out the rear sight.  Whats your thoughts?

trkyklr

RE: sights

Postby trkyklr » March 17th, 2009, 11:09 am

stick with the beads...both of them!

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: sights

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » March 17th, 2009, 11:21 am

another vote for the twin beads.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

Next

Return to Shooting