BUSTED-Turkey disaster

The latest news from the field!
Steve from Hartwood

BUSTED-Turkey disaster

Postby Steve from Hartwood » May 4th, 2011, 11:41 am

Last year my son became an Eagle Scout and was taken Turkey hunting by a Wounded Warrior that is a avid Turkey Hunter. Talk about a reversal of kindness from a hero. THe WW called in a bird and my son moved his gun and was busted by the bird. Despite missing a bird it was a great experience.

Two weeks ago I went out one night and used my call and had an instant gobble. I left and came back the next morning. I called twice and the next thing I knew the Gobbler was 15 yards from me and I couldn't make a shot. I moved slightly and was busted. I asked a lot of people who hunt as to what to do and they said to go back and find the bird because Turkeys are territorial.

To date I haven't seen or heard a bird. Was I given bad advice? Appreciate any advice.

retranger

RE: BUSTED-Turkey disaster

Postby retranger » May 4th, 2011, 3:03 pm

No you were not given bad advice. They do have a home range. Maybe someone else got the bird, or he might be with hens and not being vocal. Keep trying,,,,,,,thats part of turkey hunting.[:)][:)]
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

dewey

RE: BUSTED-Turkey disaster

Postby dewey » May 5th, 2011, 3:00 am

Steve welcome to the T&TH form and congratulations to your son for achieving the rank of Eagle Scout. I am myself achieved the rank of Eagle Scout about 14 years ago and it is quite the accomplsihment when you look into the history of the Eagle Scout. Also very kind of a WW to take your son hunting.

Here is an article from T&TH about moving on gobblers that come in where they are not "supposed" to be.

http://www.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/a ... what-to-do

I agree with retranger and that turkeys have a home range and the days you were out they just might not have frequented that area or they came through at a different time.

Good luck hunting.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

shaman

Re: BUSTED-Turkey disaster

Postby shaman » March 1st, 2012, 6:34 am

Turkeys are very reactive, but they make up for it by not having a long memory. My lesson on this comes right from the back yard of my house. For the past decade, we've been sitting out back in the evenings enjoying the deer and turkeys. During season and for some time before and after, we will have regular visits from gobblers, coming up to the house. They spot us and run off like scalded cats. . .

. . . but then they're back the next night to repeat exactly what they've done. Some nights they get closer than others. Sometimes it may be the color shirt I'm wearing or the dogs or the kid's bagpipes that set them scurrying. However, every encounter seems like a fresh experience to them. I never see the gobblers acting apprehensive as they approach, sometimes from 300 yards out.

When the Good Lord was passing out traits, He made a wise choice with turkeys. When you figure it, for as skittish as gobblers can be, if they had the intelligence to remember, they would probably all die of a nervous disorder. My birds will sometimes haul up and run off at 450 yards, just at the sight of me coming around the side of the house. However, they're back in the same pasture in a day or so. Even shooting shotgun at them, does not seem to create a lasting impression.

That's one reason I wonder at times about the catechism surrounding pressured birds. Yes, I know. I am just an old bird that squawks at everything anymore. However, given the experience of my own birds in my own back yard, I cannot help but think we give these boogers a little too much credit sometimes. It seems like God wipes their slate clean every night on the roost, and it's probably a good thing too. If I knew I was going to wake up to something as ugly as a hen turkey every morning, I don't know how long I or my species would last.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

FireFly908

Postby FireFly908 » March 2nd, 2012, 2:01 pm

Another piece of advice I would like to offer that is a little off the main topic is: Getting Busted ISN'T a Turkey Disaster!
It happens to all of us and it's part of hunting! Any little movement or sound can get you busted. Sometimes you just have to take the chance and sometimes you just get too impatient and take the chance. Other times, Murphy takes over. Last season I missed a real nice gobbler from my blind when I resituated to get the shot and kicked my pee bucket! Ole Tom headed for the hills immediately! So, don't look at it as a disaster and just part of the fun of hunting turkey and part of the learning process.

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 5th, 2012, 4:48 pm

So does this experience change if you believe you hit a bird?

I'm almost positive I shot one Friday (it looked like it barrel rolled) and then got right back up and flew away!

Did a 100+ yard sweep and never did find a body.

retranger

Postby retranger » May 6th, 2012, 6:40 pm

I think you need to put a little more info on here then maybe the fellows can be of better help to you. Such as ,,,how far away was he,,,what gun and choke were you useing and what shot.
I did the same once and never found the bird. My fault as I had the wrong choke in the gun and didn't realize it.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

glenhunter

Postby glenhunter » July 21st, 2012, 12:17 am

Getting Busted ISN'T a Turkey Disaster!
It happens to all of us and it's part of hunting!

How true! :roll:

gh

peter9091

Postby peter9091 » November 15th, 2012, 1:54 am

Nice question tell us ....... How true! :roll:

Return to News from Turkey & Turkey Hunting