Hoosier Hysteria

hoosierhunter

Hoosier Hysteria

Postby hoosierhunter » June 3rd, 2008, 4:28 pm

Northeast Indiana is known to be a hard turkey hunt even for seasoned woodsmen.One of the primary factors is the geographic lay of the land. This is primarily known as lake country, and were you have a multitude of lakes, there will also be a lot of swamps, marshes, and wetlands. This is also farm country, mostly beans and corn, so the woods around here are fairly small, just a few acres. For example in Allen co. the largest tract of woods is 80 acres and that is continually logged. As a matter of fact, logging is a big business around here, and most farmers routinely keep the big roost trees logged, so good habitat is at a premium. Fortunately, the state does try to purchase all available wetlands, so most of the hunting oppurtunities are on state land, as good private land for turkey hunting is as rare as, say, hens teeth. This is one fella thats sure happy with the oppurtunities the state of IN. provides, cause without their hard work, I would most likely not have harvested my tom turkey. That also goes for my son, Conner, and his harvesting his first tom on a different piece of public ground.  So just let me say, " Thanks Indiana!"
          Conner got his tom at Marsh Lake Wetland Conservation Area. This has been my "go to" spot for years, as most folks won't get deep in the swamp because of the degree of diffulculty. Not Conner! Once he found out how good those muck boots worked, there wasn't anywhere he wasn't willing to go for a turkey. We packed a blind in through the muck, mire, water and cabbage for about a mile, set our deeks and waited for the gobble fest. I did the calling, explaining everything to Conner, and the gobbles cracking the morning air, were everything I could have hoped for, for my son's first turkey hunt. Conner saw him first, grabbing my arm, while whispering,"Dad! Dad! There's a turkey over here!"
          It doesn't get any better than that folks, and that's a father son memory, I'll cherish forever. The tom came from 100 yrds. to 27 yrds. and thats were Conner baptized that bird with buckshot. He flopped into a creek, but we flopped in after him,so, thanks IN.
          I got my tom at Pigeon River Wildlife Area a couple weeks later. No gobbles there though. Had to stalk him down, and to tell you the truth I really prefer to spot, and stalk, and call.
          Now lets here about your adventures in the land of the HOOSIER HUNTER!
                                     GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE
                                                       L.K.LESLIE       

Fan Club

RE: Hoosier Hysteria

Postby Fan Club » June 4th, 2008, 4:11 am

Way to go, Conner and Larry!

That's a great story and memory. I used to live in Fort Wayne, so I can attest to the lack of decent hunting property in that vicinity. The farmers have taken out all of the tree rows and you can literally see for miles across the fields in Allen County. I spent all of my time there traveling back to Michigan to hunt.

Kudos as well to Indiana for realizing this and providing State game areas.

JB
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » June 4th, 2008, 4:49 am

Thanks Fan Club, we sure appreciate the kind words. 
By the way, have you ever had an oppurtunity to hunt them Smokey Greys I keep hearing about in Jackson Co?

L.K.LESLIE

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » June 4th, 2008, 5:07 am

By the way, have you ever had an oppurtunity to hunt them Smokey Greys I keep hearing about in Jackson Co?

Nope. I'm in Calhoun county. The turkeys here are showing some unique characteristics though. I've seen several local harvested gobblers now where the center three tail feathers are shades of grey or have grey accents.

Two weeks ago, a guest hunting my property saw an albino jake which I have not witnessed yet. He said it's head was pink instead of red, and the feathers were shades of buff and grey instead of black. Hopefully he survived the season and will reproduce next year. If I get a chance to take him, I'll wait until late in the season after the breeding is done.

JB
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 4th, 2008, 6:46 am

Hey Larry,

Congratulations to both you and Conner. What a great experience to share!

I lived in Tippecanoe County, IN for 6 years. I hunted a small patch of woods that was privately owned but surrounded by Purdue property. It was a mile walk, no vehicles of any type allowed, though some tough country, creeks and hills but well worth it. I saw so many fine birds there and was fortunate enough to kill one each year.

I'm glad Indiana has been foresighted enough to get that land for the public use. It will become more and more valuable each year.

Again, congratulations.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » June 4th, 2008, 2:12 pm

Great story.  I had a friend that deer hunted Marsh Lake.  He did good each year by finding an island and waiting on opening weekend.  I'm from over by Ari, where are you from?  I know what you mean by loss of woods, but the biggest problem is that when property is sold it gets broken down into little plots.  I deer hunt Huntington county and the turkeys are just now moving in.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » June 4th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Good luch JB, I sure hope you get a chance at that bino bird,and thank you too Clark, We appreciate the kind words very much.That is the commraderie of turkey huntin. Hey Steve, I live just south of New Haven, about 4 miles out of Ft. Wayne. Go to hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com and sign up, and also, there is were you'll find out how to contact me. Give me a call and we'll get together. I've got some property around Lagro, that I need to see if the birds have moved into yet,and that would be a good time for both.
                                                                          L.K.LESLIE

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 5th, 2008, 10:32 am

Hey Larry,

An mail that I sent to your address was just returned after 5 days of attempts. I suspect that at least 1, maybe 2 follow-up e-mails may be returned soon.

If there is an alternate address that I can use, please e-mail me and I can try that one.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Indiana