Conclusion: The Salient

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » February 28th, 2012, 9:40 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

A few years earlier, I might have tried to slip forward a few yards or even stand to get a crack at the gobbler’s melon. But remember, we were on a point. Unless he took wing and sailed for a mile, the turkey wasn’t going the opposite direction off the tip of the point. It was almost as unlikely that he’d pitch or walk off the steep sides of the point. Unless I did something really stupid, he was only going to walk one way — toward me.

And five minutes later, he did. Well, actually, he poked his head up a bit to check things out. I had to lean around a blowdown to shoot the bird, but that was a small hurdle to overcome.

After the shot, I jumped up and gave my friend the thumbs-up sign. I’d done it right. My buddy then reminded me that the gobbler was flopping down Turkey Point — like several hundred feet down — and that I’d better retrieve the bird unless I wanted to try to airlift it out later.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get your 2012 Spring Gobbler Hunter's Value Pack!

dewey

Re: Conclusion: The Salient

Postby dewey » February 29th, 2012, 8:36 am

Seems like you had him pretty cornered.

Congratulations

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » February 29th, 2012, 11:38 am

I've noticed that a LOT of turkeys don't make it home on the evening of the day Mr Lovett is making decisions :)

Not the home they prefer anyway
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » February 29th, 2012, 12:40 pm

Ha! Just trying to make myself look good, Bobby. Wait till you read next week's installment.

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » February 29th, 2012, 8:20 pm

That is what I would have done, and it looks like it payed off for you. Keep em coming!
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

Return to Decision Time