Community

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grunt_doc

Community

Postby grunt_doc » June 3rd, 2008, 2:54 am

One thing that I've noticed about turkey hunting (in my vast one season experience) is that there seems to be more of a community feel to it than any other type of hunting/hunters.  I also hunt deer, waterfowl, upland birds, varmint, ect.. and have never seen the level of good old traditional fellowship.  not to say that other hunters aren't proud or excited about the success of others, but I haven't seen as many folks willing to take the time to teach and show and even learn themselves.  So thanks for all the help.

I'm not waxing emotional, and no, I don't need a hug....I'm just wasting some time waiting for fall season.  I got hooked.  hard.

Doc

Fan Club

RE: Community

Postby Fan Club » June 3rd, 2008, 4:04 am

Doc-

You are so right, turkey hunters are a very special fraternity and certainly lean toward the helpful side. Maybe it's because they know that the odds are still stacked in the gobbler's favor no matter what advice is dispensed. And you still have to get the big bird within 30 yards no matter what your hunting style is.

On the other hand, deer hunting seems to bring out the worst in folks. Around here camps are sharply divided on issues of shooting does and small bucks, baiting, etc. Old timers believe real men don't shoot does and you gotta get your buck at all cost...even if it means shooting a forkhorn or basket rack 6 point. The DNR and QDM want you to shoot does to control the deer herd and let small bucks walk. (Which also happens to be my philosophy.) In any case, most are not willing to help you and are very secretive with information.

My father just hosted two old friends from South Carolina on a Michigan hunt. These two southern gentlemen have hunted all over the country and did indeed reflect on the community feel that turkey hunting fosters. One sentiment caught my ear- "I never met a turkey hunter that I wouldn't trust my wife and children with." While that may be an exaggeration to make a point, you just don't hear those kinds of statements made about deer, duck and rabbit hunters, or even fishermen.

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 3rd, 2008, 3:01 pm

Hey Matthew,

I really agree with both you and Jeff on the "fraternity of turkey hunters". Doris and I are on the road a good bit. If I have anything on that indicates I'm a turkey hunter (NWTF shirt, cap, etc.) I almost always have a comment and meet a fellow turkey hunter. I can wear other shooting attire and it hardly draws a glance or comment but any thing recognizable as having to do with turkeys does.

Glynn Shubert was my turkey hunting mentor and still one of my best friends. He shared knowledge with me (not hot spots but knowledge) when it was hard to find. There just was not the kind of information that's easily available today. He told me about behavior in the Spring and we both made our first Fall hunt together. He's shared his knowledge with literally hundreds of folks over the last 30 years and I feel lucky just to have been one of them.

I've tried to share whatever I know as well. I've seen folks start with no knowledge and become great hunters. I recently had dinner with a man that I gave his first mouth call and took on his first hunt. He told me he's shot over 50 turkeys since that time and has introduced his cousins, his brother and many other folks to the sport. He's a young man and has a lifetime ahead of him to share his knowledge. That's just as it should be.

This forum is just one example of how willing turkey hunters are to share their knowledge and experience. Let's all keep that tradition alive. It's a good one.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » June 11th, 2008, 4:03 am

Amen, brothers.....
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion