Any luck in Pa?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
swpatrkyhunter

RE: Any luck in Pa?

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 22nd, 2008, 11:36 am

That has been the sentiment this year. Fall turkey hunting does not get enough attetion. Even in this publication the information on fall turkey hunting is sparce at best. All the videos out there only concentrate on the Spring hunt. With the sport growing as it has in the last few years and turkey populations being at an all time high the lack of gobbling birds will eventually get to dead silence. If the hen population gets too big then they will have no reason to gobble at all! Will they? I am by no means an expert on this but it seems to be a logical conclusion judging from the birds actions the last couple years. I hunt just about every season there is. And yes. I fall turkey hunt. But it's different in the fall and to be honest I don't really know how to be proficent with fall turkey hunting. Most states have fall hunts. But again most who do hunt the fall are after the toms. Comon guys! Give the toms a rest and go for a hen! Maybe if you do the spring season will bring more excitement. CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE COME OUT WITH SOME VIDEOS ON FALL TURKEY HUNTING? Not just how to get a tom mind you. but to hunt both the male and female. Since so many seem to feel the same about getting some hens this fall I propose that come the fall season all of us get together on here again and share stories and tacktics for the fall hunt. Anybody agree??????????????

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 29th, 2008, 2:05 pm

HI Swpatrkyhunter I second the motion about getting on the board in the fall.
Fall hunting is a tradition in Pa.when I started turkey hunting in Pa. there was no spring season.
When Pa. started their spring season most of the turkey hunters didn,t hunt as it just wasn't right!
"But look at it now! I love both seasons and wouldn't miss either one.
Fall is a great time of the year to be in the woods and I log as much time hunting then as I do in the
spring.
Last fall I called two birds in gobbling their heads off the first morning in the rain!
It was a spring senario for sure so you just don't know what the fall will offer you when hunting.
The key to fall hunting is finding the birds and this can put a whoopin on a good pair of Bean Boots
and the person in them.I think this is the the biggest draw back and the reason it is not very popular.
One of my best birds was killed in the fall two years ago 1 1/2" spurs 11 1/2" beard 23lbs.
Find them ,break them ,and call them back this is the general procedure and whatever call the bird makes you imitate,he will come!
We only have five months to wait so it is just around the corner"will seem like five years". GOOD LUCK.

MAK

Postby MAK » May 30th, 2008, 2:37 am

Denny Gulvas is PA based and had a video out on Fall Turkey hunting - it was available through Midwest Turkey Call on line.

I agree with less gobbling and little after fly down, if they don't have to look for love, they don't need to advertise!

In addition I believe the growing coyote population has an effect on 'ground' gobbling.

I'm sure this last part is pure happenstance, but I 'lost' a working bird to a hen more times this year than several previous years combined. In every case the real hen did not yelp, but went to the gobbler clucking and purring.
MAK

Fullfan

Postby Fullfan » May 31st, 2008, 12:32 pm

Well Fullfan Jr. was able to kill his second bird on the last day. We had two longbeards come to the call.He shot him at 0655 at less than 15yds. 17 lbs 10 1/4 beard and 1" spurs. Now this is after he crushed a longbeard on the Sat prior. Bird came to 21 yds. Jr. shot and blasted the bird hard, but in the .5 seconds that it took us to ge up the bird had got its self together and was off and away. We where both sick.

This season the birds here in the western part of the state were playing by the rulse. We had a great season. I took a ride in the rain this am, and saw 5 longbeards out doing their stuff. They did not kill them all.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 9th, 2008, 1:38 pm

Hi MAK I didn't have the hen problem this year but last year on four different occasions I did.
Hens seemed to be following me around and when I would get a bird working they would show up.
I literraly got up and tried to run them off and they would circle around me and steal the gobbler.
With the growing turkey population this is to be expected and something we will have to deal with.
Looking ahead the more hens this year means more gobblers next year and sooner or later one of them
will make a mistake.
As for the coyotes "SHOOT EM".
GOOD LUCK BE SAFE!

PA Limbhanger

Postby PA Limbhanger » June 22nd, 2008, 5:08 pm

Sorry no pics having trouble uploading.

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion