beginner dvds

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
gooseberry

beginner dvds

Postby gooseberry » May 29th, 2008, 4:14 pm

I'm a beginner and I mean beginner at hunting turkeys. Is there a set of instructional DVDs that I can purchase that can teach me? I'd like to learn how to locate turkeys, turkey signs, calling, etc. Thanks for your help. I didn't hunt Spring Gobbler because I just didn't know how to approach it.
Thanks again

Dank

RE: beginner dvds

Postby Dank » May 29th, 2008, 4:22 pm

I dont know about dvds, but you can learn alot about tactics from good magazines such as T&TH, and good shows. As far as learning to call their are several cds you can get from primos that will let you hear what you should sound like and you can practice along with. Another way I like to practice calling is to emulate what hunters are doing on turkey hunting shows. I figure if it worked good enough to kill that turkey on tv surely it will work on another.
Failure is often our best teacher.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 29th, 2008, 5:47 pm

The internet is a library at your fingertips with volumes full of good things to read about Turkey hunting. Absorb all you can. This site has a lot of good information from fellow hunters willing to share what works (and what doesn't) without all the B.S. and advertising you get in some magazines.

There is no substitute to spending time in the woods with a good Turkey hunter to help you learn the ropes, but if you don't know one, DVDs are the next best thing.

I learned a lot by reading, and later even more by just sitting back and watching live Turkeys in a State Park (there weren't dvds when I started hunting).  Doing that allowed me to understand how they acted throughout the year and what their calls sounded like live.  It also gave me a good place to practice calling.  I found that I could get Gobblers to almost run me over with the right call at the right time. It also taught me to be still, because Turkeys won't tolerate something moving around...it could be something wanting to eat them.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

jpb

Postby jpb » May 30th, 2008, 4:31 am

I agree with all the above. Also ask as many questions as you can.Even if you think they are stupid or silly.I know i have asked a few "Dumb" questions myself.The group on this board are a fine bunch.And have always been helpfull...Good Luck.
Joe

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 30th, 2008, 5:44 am

First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of turkey hunting! It's a great sport, always challenging but one with many great folks who will try to be helpful to you.

I started http://www.allaboutshooting.com to help folks with turkey hunting/shooting questions and to help them sort through all the information that's out there. There are many articles there about shooting, hunting and practical help. I also offer the "Shooting System", a free, no obligation service to help folks get the most from their gun, choke, shotshell combination.

I'd also recommend that you visit your local DVD/Video rental store and see if they have DVD's on turkey hunting. Some do and some don't but it's always worth a look. If they do, you can rent one or several and see techniques used by different hunters.

If you are able to get "Outdoor Channel" or "Versus" there are several turkey hunting shows, including "Turkey Call", "Turkey Country" and "Get in the Game" that will be of help to you.

I really recommend "Turkey & Turkey Hunting" magazine. Every issue is full of great articles and profiles of turkey hunting professionals, past and present. The "2008 Turkey Hunter's Equipment Guide" is also a great publication that will tell you a lot about all the subjects you mentioned and more. This site also has a wealth of information contained in the forums and in the articles. I'd encourage you to explore it fully and read all that you can, as often as you can.

Lastly, you may want to find your local chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation, contact the Regional Director in your area and become acquainted with the members. Most turkey hunters like to talk about their sport and will help you with calling, locating, etc. They may not tell you where their "honey hole" is however.

I know you'll enjoy this sport and its' good to have you here.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

MAK

Postby MAK » May 30th, 2008, 6:48 am

Wingsupply (www.wingsupply.com) and Midwest Turkey Calls (www.midwestturkeycall.com) carries some. I'm partial to Denny Gulvas, Lovette Williams and Tom Kelley, but there are many more.
MAK

gooseberry

Postby gooseberry » May 30th, 2008, 11:00 am

Thanks All: I 've ordered Turkey & Turkey Hunting Magazine and I'll begin to scour the internet.

olesmoky12

Postby olesmoky12 » May 30th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Talk about HOOKED!! Turkey hunting is a great experience. My little brother talked me into going with him on the last day of season aeveral years ago. I was more into large mouth in the spring but decided to tag along for one day. He got a bird gobbling at daybreak and when he came off the limb he was on his way. Twenty minutes later a couple rookies heard a unforgetable "PUTT" and over the hill he went. 

After this I was a sponge. Every TV program, video, and Magazine that had anything to do with turkey hunting had my attention. The one thing that helped me the most was the "turkey hunters". You will never meet a more helpful group of people in your life. All the questions I had was answered and any tip or trick was given to me free. I was asked to tag along with one for the first three days of Ohio's spring season the following year. That was a very helpful and exciting three days of my life, but more important I had found new friends for life.

Like the others have already said, Ask questions. Any advice we can give we will.

HOOKED! Remember that brother that took me the first time? Five years later I had the privelege of calling in his first turkey kill 19 1/2 lbs  - 8 1/2 inch beard.
Can you believe six years without filling a tag. Nothing like turkey hunting

Welcome again,
Olesmoky

Tail Feathers

Postby Tail Feathers » June 14th, 2008, 6:43 am

Find the DVD "So you want to be a Turkey Hunter?".  Great primer!
Then buy and read Jim Spencer's Turkey Hunter's Digest.  Those will get you off to a good start.

MAYTURKEY

Postby MAYTURKEY » June 14th, 2008, 1:20 pm

I like Denny Gulvas videos, and Mossy Oak turkey school dvds. But almost any turkey dvd will have some worth while information.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion