M2 ??? or SX3

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
allchokedup

M2 ??? or SX3

Postby allchokedup » May 26th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Hi everyone, I'm looking for another shotgun for hunting turkeys. After lots reading and shouldering several shotguns I kind of narrowed my choices to an M2 or the new SX3 ( nwtf version ). I have two 12 gauge, MOSS. 835 and a Stoeger M2000. I thought about trying the M2 in 20 gauge, just for something different, but I have been looking at the new SX3 NWTF shotgun and that thing looks awesome.
I've read and heard a lot of great things about the M2, the only negative so far is that they have some recoil to them.
I have not heard much about the SX3. Also, on the Winchester web site , they talk about the 742 back bore. My guestion is, does this really help that much.
This will probably be my last shotgun for a long time and if anyone has any experience or comments with these shotguns, please let me know, Thanks

allaboutshooting

RE: M2 ??? or SX3

Postby allaboutshooting » May 26th, 2008, 6:14 pm

Hey David,

I can certainly understand your question. The Benelli M2 and the Winchester SX3 are both fine guns. I've owned Benelli shotguns since 1991 when I purchased my first SBE. They are all fine guns and the new M2 with the Crio barrel and the ComforTec recoil reducing stock, makes a very reliable gun, a much more comfortable gun.

I have been testing a Winchester SX3 since September of last year. I've used it for hunting doves, ducks, geese, fall turkeys, all clay sports and spring turkeys. I'm shooting the 3" gun with a 28" barrel. I chose to test the synthetic stock model, with the Perma-Cote gray finish on the barrel and receiver. It has the .742 back-bored barrel.

It's a great gun. It's very light and very quick. (I've seen Patrick Flannigan do things with this gun that are almost unbelievable.) It has not failed me in any situation thus far. I still need to shoot it in very hot and humid conditions here in Southern Illinois before my tests are through but I have little doubt that it will come through very well.

I've shot a variety of shotshells through it from light clay loads to 3" turkey loads, of all varieties. They all work well. It carries easily and balances in the hand naturally.

I'd recommend it and think you'd be very happy with it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

allchokedup

Postby allchokedup » May 27th, 2008, 12:37 pm

Hi Clark, Thank you for the information and I was hoping to here form you. I'm leaning toward the SX3, but there are so many great shotguns out there its hard to choose.
Thanks, David

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 27th, 2008, 6:23 pm

Hey David,

I agree! They've made it really hard for us to decide on that "perfect" gun now. I find that each gun has some features that I really like. I find also that I prefer different guns for different purposes. In the woods, I like the lighter weight ones but on the range, I want as much weight as I can get to help reduce some of the recoil.

I  believe the best gun is the one that feels best to you and fits you best and I also remember what I was told many years ago, that the best gun is the one you have in your hand when you need it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

allchokedup

Postby allchokedup » June 7th, 2008, 4:44 am

After countless times, shouldering shotguns and reading everything I could find, I purchased the M2 12 ga. with the steady grip stock and a burris speed dot, all apg. camo. Should get in about 2-3 weeks.
There are so many great shotguns out there, it makes your decision tough.
My first turkey gun (38 yrs ago) was an old 12 ga. long tom and when you squeezed one off the forend would fall off and the barrel with it. Later I was able to save enough money and got a Rem. 1100 12 ga. with a full choke. Still shoots as good as new. That was back in the days when Ben Rogers Lee Sr., was to me, the greatest turkey man alive. I killed alot of turkeys with that gun, just running and gunning. That was just as much fun then as it is now. Can't wait to try this new out.
Thanks Clark for your advise.
Happy hunting

Return to Shooting