Who the heck is Earl Mickel??

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Singin

Who the heck is Earl Mickel??

Postby Singin » May 21st, 2008, 1:23 pm

Now that I have your attention I know who he is. But I was wondering what made Earls picks on Turkey call makers so great? I am trying to learn more about him.

zipperman351

RE: Who the heck is Earl Mickel??

Postby zipperman351 » May 23rd, 2008, 3:44 pm

He was in the turkey call magazine 2 months ago and told about his life and turkey hunting times.He loved to hunt them and collect box calls...zipperman

Singin

Postby Singin » May 24th, 2008, 8:21 am

Does anyone know where a person could veiw his clloection?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 25th, 2008, 3:56 pm

Hey Sam,

I've always thought the most fascinating aspect of Mr. Mickel's quest was to shoot a bird in all 49 states and to use a call made in the state where he hunted, to call the bird.

He was a true force in bringing call makers to the forefront of attention.  We just accept the fact now that there are folks earning a living making turkey calls. It's entirely possible, that without his very hard work, that might not be the case.

He also formed relationships with folks all over the US. I listened to Rob Keck have a conversation with him once, in which he recounted many of his adventures. I really think he valued the relationships that he made as much as the turkeys he hunted and maybe even as much as the calls he collected.

There's a very brief "snapshot" of him here: http://www.nwtf.org/nwtf_newsroom/press ... p?id=12262

He was quite a guy.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Singin

Postby Singin » May 26th, 2008, 8:53 am

I'm in the middel of reading his last book. And I have had the pleasure of meeting one of the call makers in his first book ( Dan Searcy). I wonder if anyone has taken a bird in all 49 states with a bow?

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion