Pa update on Turkey habits!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
swpatrkyhunter

Pa update on Turkey habits!

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 8th, 2008, 7:53 am

This goes out to my fellow Pa turkey hunters. I blew my knee out last year and I'm still recovering so I have not been back to work yet. UPSIDE. More time to hunt. I know alot of you can't hunt much because of work. So I'm here to tell you what I have noticed in the past week. As I have seen and heard from my guys the birds are henned up. Well they are starting to break away from the hens and getting into batchlor groups now. At least here in south western Pa. Since not as many hunters have been in the woods like the first few days the birds are slowly starting to go back to their normal patterens. Earlt morning seems to be the best time to get the toms to gobble they there is a lull till about 10-10:30 am. Not much time considering hunting ends at noon but still enough time to work a bird if you get in the right spot. I hope this info can help someone out this weekend. I will keep you guys posted on any changes I see as the season progresses. Good luck to all.

swpatrkyhunter

RE: Pa update on Turkey habits!

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 16th, 2008, 6:41 am

Well. As the last week of the Pa season is almost upon us I can say that the hens are starting to nest now. The gobblers are getting fired up again but the weather is keeping them tight lipped at times. Some of the birds in my area are starting to run the same routines they did just before the season opened. In a perfect worls all of us would be sharing stories of success. But that is not the case as is the way of turkey hunting. If it was so easy we probably would not have such a love for it. So with that said. Good luck to all of us who have not gotten to cut a feather yet this year. Keep plugging away at them and hunt safely.

MAK

Postby MAK » May 16th, 2008, 11:07 am

I hope those dang hussies have found nests that are high and dry, we've had us some rain!!!

Heading out Tomorrow, let's hope some sun will prior some gobbles out.
MAK

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 20th, 2008, 6:46 pm

Well freinds. This is the last week of Sring Gobbler in Pa. So far 15 of those days have been met with rain and 10 were cloudy. The hens ruled for the most of the season and the toms ran silent for the better part of the time. Now. The hens are moving off to nest and the toms have gotton into groups. But the toms are not all that vocal. Early mornings are still the best time to hear a gobble and get some locating on tough birds. So far this year using locator calls has not been real successful. And from what I have been hearing from alot of guys on hear it has been like that in alot of places. Saturday the 24th is the last day here in Pa. I wish the best of luck to everyone who is still out there going for it. Hopefully before the season is over I will have a story about a successful hunt.

MAK

Postby MAK » May 21st, 2008, 5:18 am

Last day is Monday 5/26 in PA - changed with this season along with the 'no orange' requirement. 

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 21st, 2008, 1:58 pm

WHOA! So Monday is a hunting day too? Woo Hoo!

AKiess

Postby AKiess » May 23rd, 2008, 2:49 am

Was out the last few days here in Western PA... Seems like the Toms have been keeping real quiet, but I thought with the weather breaking over this weekend (Sunny and in the high 60s) they might open up a big, but no luck this morning. I got out there real early and only sat for around 2 hours (I have to go into work) and never heard a thing. If anyone has a call strategy they have been having success with, I'd love to hear about it!

Good luck this weekend and Happy Memorial Day!

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » May 23rd, 2008, 8:35 am

Akiess, If possible and you can atleast get a gobble out of one..If you are huntin in an area by yourself you may want to throw a gobble back at him just be careful that your not hunting close to some one else. this could be a last ditch effort. But it will work at least in getting a return gobble if nothing else it will let u know his excact where abouts and then maybe you can move on him..Drastic means calls for drastic measures..Just be careful if other hunters are close and you gobble you could become the hunted..So really know your surroundings.. So good luck to ya!!
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 23rd, 2008, 10:07 am

Hi Akiess! First off. Welcome to the site! This year has been a rough one. I have made some mistakes that I have learned from. For the last week or so I have had some good response to useing fighting purrs. I do have a gobbler shaker but with alot of frustrated hunters out there I try to limit using it. The toms are pretty tight lipped around here now. And it seems like they may have moved to different areas. I have been checking out some areas where I had seen turkey signs before the season started. Looks as if some birds are returning to some of these areas. LOL. Now all I need to do is figure out when they are going there. Good luck and remember think of every sound as another hunter first! Until you see the bird for yourself.

AKiess

Postby AKiess » May 23rd, 2008, 12:18 pm

Thanks for all the good ideas! I'll let you know how a make out tomorrow morning and you do the same! You're right about being careful tomorrow; I think it might be packed in the woods around Pittsburgh (where I am) because of the holiday, etc.)... Good Luck!

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion