Sceery Outdoors Decoys...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
beardbandit00jr

Sceery Outdoors Decoys...

Postby beardbandit00jr » May 20th, 2008, 3:56 pm

anybody else use em? i got em, its a 4 pack. 1 jake, a walkin hen, a feeding hen, and a resting hen. inflatable, and seem to shine almost like a real turkey. had a ole tom walk right by my dads dekes last year, directly to my Sceerys. he went out an bought a set! anybody else have experience with them?

Hunter

RE: Sceery Outdoors Decoys...

Postby Hunter » May 22nd, 2008, 2:57 am

Hi beardbanditoojr, I to have hunted with people that use turkey decoys. This year I went out and bought several of these turkey decoys. On the first morning I parked my car next to some truck that I new this guy in the back of my mind was on toop of the mountain where I was going to go. So I stayed down below near the pines and set up the decoys along the logging road. Then I took cover. I called and after 15 minutes later I could here the old boy flying down from his roost. With in 5 mintues I heard a "BOOM!" I then picked up my decoys and went home. Now I hunt state land. In most cases no one is every around after the first day. But I have seen turkey walk right past a person and to someone else's decoys. Decoy's are some of the best things that the companies has came out with. I still have a chance of getting my turkey so I am going to try with two decoys and my turkey calls.  Good luck.

Hunter.

JPH

Postby JPH » May 22nd, 2008, 3:36 am

I gotta tell you, the Sceery decoys look pretty cheezy to me. But I have hunted long enough to know a decoy does not need to be all that realistic to fool a turkey (in the right set-up and the right day). I do like the concept behind them and the price. I think the trend in the other direction, toward feather covered decoys, is more about fooling hunters than turkeys.

Funny story: Twenty years ago, a friend of mine used a blow-up decoy. I have no idea where he found it. He was ahead of his time. Anyway, this thing looked awful! Like some kid should be carrying it around on a stick at the county fair. We used to razz him so badly about his "blow-up doll" that he would get angry. He'd swear up and down that goblers loved it and we'd just laugh harder. A second funny thing about this guy was that he absolutely HATED squirrels. They would begin to harass him the moment he stepped in the woulds and he was certain that they were warning the turkeys. Really funny guy. Anyway, one day we heard him shoot. We expected him to come out to the road with a big tom over his shoulder. Instead, he comes out holding his limp blow-up doll and sewaring like a sailor. His story was that there was a squirrel barking at him, so he threw a pine cone at it. The squirrel suddenly jumped out of the tree, took two big bounds and landed on his decoy, popping it! The shot was our buddy shooting at, and missing the squirrel. We still give him a hard time about it.

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 22nd, 2008, 8:58 am

i have seen them but never thought about using them...seems like too many things could go wrong with them...i'll stick with my carry-lites. they look good, they are durable and easy to carry.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

beardbandit00jr

Postby beardbandit00jr » May 22nd, 2008, 12:51 pm

ORIGINAL: STEROIDCHICKEN

i have seen them but never thought about using them...seems like too many things could go wrong with them...i'll stick with my carry-lites. they look good, they are durable and easy to carry.

not to sound like a jerk, but what could go wrong? you blow em up, stick em where ya want em and hunt. i got em, because i didnt have any decoys at all, and the others they had looked real cheezy. but one plus is they do come with a patch kit, just in case you fall asleep an wake up and see turkeys...lol joking[8|]

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » May 23rd, 2008, 4:18 am

beardbandit, I think the sceery products look as real as any turkey that isn't an actual decoy...To me they don't look cheezy compare to some of the foam setups. They are a little more difficult to put up but do look better.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » May 23rd, 2008, 8:24 am

Well in my opinion if you get the right bird it really doesn't matter..I actually killed 2 really nice birds this spring using ol' walmart foam decoys..Worked well had them both within 4 feet of her..
if there that close it should be checkmate.. So I feel if the bird is hot and ready as long as it's close to looking real your in there...After all  we basically use them to take the attention away from us anyway...

Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 23rd, 2008, 9:26 am

howdy beardbandit,

to be mobile for when the ol tom gobbles, i think they may be too bulky(while in the blown-up position) to go running through the woods only to get to the set-up and you notice a hole in them from a briar puncture or whatever. i not saying that they don't work because i have never used them, that is just my thinking on them. i can't see myself getting to a set-up and having to make a repair on them then trying to blow them up as fast as i can all the while, the ol tom is closing in. just my thoughts...good luck to you .
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

PATKYHTR

Postby PATKYHTR » May 27th, 2008, 6:25 am

Beardbandit,   I have a set of sceery decoys (2hens,jake) also. I am not a huge fan of decoys but there are times decoys will seal the deal. I used one feeding decoy this year and without I am not sure if I would of got that turkey. What I like about them is when they are not inflated they are very compact and don't take much room up in the vest. It only takes 5 or 6 good inhales to blow them up and only a few seconds to deflate them.
  I agree that the b-moble is the newest trend but I would rather the freedom to roam without all the bulk.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion