Anybody Ever Shot a Turkey with Sabot Deer Slug Out of 12-Gauge Shotgun?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
olesmoky12

RE: Anybody Ever Shot a Turkey with Sabot Deer Slug Out of 12-Gauge Shotgun?

Postby olesmoky12 » May 22nd, 2008, 6:11 pm

I'm new here but just wanted to encourage you to enjoy the challenge of the hunt. I have had several birds in my years of hunting put me in this same position. I had one drive me crazy a couple years ago and helped me finish the season with a empty tag but I would'nt change it. This bird made me much smarter for the next season, and believe me I was ready to go at it again the next opening day. Good luck !
Olesmoky

MSwickard

Postby MSwickard » May 23rd, 2008, 2:08 am

dluders,

This was taken from the WA Turkey regs: [ul][*][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Spring turkey season is open for shotgun (10 gauge or under holding 3 or fewer shells or muzzleloader with shot) and bow-and-arrow hunting only. [/ul]It really isn't written well but it basically implies "open for shotgun or muzzleloader with shot". The ) is in the wrong place.  The ) should come after the word shells and therefor read like this:
[ul][*][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Spring turkey season is open for shotgun (10 gauge or under holding 3 or fewer shells) or muzzleloader with shot and bow-and-arrow hunting only. [/ul]
However, the implied meaning is either or using shot and not a SLUG![font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]

Spring turkey season is open for shotgun or muzzleloader with shot and bow-and-arrow hunting only.
[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]
Shotguns must be 10 gauge or under holding 3 or fewer shells

[font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]

So if you went into the fields with slugs.....my bet is they would throw you in jail!  Additionally, using slugs on turkey is not a good idea....for the matter in my  opinion is a rifle either.  If you can't call them within shotgun range you have next year to try it again.  It just is too dangerous using slugs and rifles.

Mike

dluders

Postby dluders » May 23rd, 2008, 3:59 am

Thanks, all, for the input.  Like I replied before, the HUNTER SAFETY risk of using a slug is reason enough for not using them.  I'm convinced -- I'll just use conventional 12-gauge, #5 or #6 pellets and try to shoot the turkey in the head at ~30 yards.  I plan on going out this long Memorial Day weekend and trying to get a Merriam tom in Northeast Washington. 

JPH

Postby JPH » May 23rd, 2008, 8:54 am

ORIGINAL: dluders

Thanks, all, for the input.  Like I replied before, the HUNTER SAFETY risk of using a slug is reason enough for not using them.  I'm convinced -- I'll just use conventional 12-gauge, #5 or #6 pellets and try to shoot the turkey in the head at ~30 yards.  I plan on going out this long Memorial Day weekend and trying to get a Merriam tom in Northeast Washington. 

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion