Anybody Ever Shot a Turkey with Sabot Deer Slug Out of 12-Gauge Shotgun?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dluders

Anybody Ever Shot a Turkey with Sabot Deer Slug Out of 12-Gauge Shotgun?

Postby dluders » May 22nd, 2008, 4:26 am

Has anybody ever shot a wild turkey with a 12-gauge "Sabot Slug"?  I know that shotguns are NORMALLY used for pellet loads, but if one can't legally shoot a turkey with a RIFLE, then call-shy and pressured turkeys COULD possibly be harvested with a deer slug.  I would imagine that a turkey hit in the body by a Sabot Slug would just fall over immediately.      

The 2008 Wild Turkey Spring Season regulations in Washington State "is open for shotgun...or muzzleloader with shot and bow-and-arrow hunting only."  Rifles are not allowed, but a rifled SLUG in a shotgun appears to be legal. 

I realize that it would be more "sporting" and challenging to harvest a turkey with a 12-gauge pellet load at close range (30 yards), but what if the turkeys won't come in close?  We've got 10 days left in the Spring Turkey Season, and I want to bag at least one tom....

RE: Anybody Ever Shot a Turkey with Sabot Deer Slug Out of 12-Gauge Shotgun?

Postby Guest » May 22nd, 2008, 5:05 am

I would say you mite want to read a little further, I know in Missouri your limited to shot no larger than #4.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 22nd, 2008, 6:24 am

You might want to look more closely at the rules. In Pa it states no Single projectile Allowed. The only exception to that rule is bow and crossbow. I would not go into the woods with slugs unless you know for sure. If you can't get a clear knowledge from the rule book try calling your game commissions office. Better to do that then get busted for an oversight. I would not risk losing hunting privliges over something like that.

JPH

Postby JPH » May 22nd, 2008, 9:18 am

I doubt that any state allows slugs for spring turkeys. And if they did, I would advise against it.

First of all, you are talking about shooting a long range projectile at ground level, when other hunters are known to be on the ground in cammoflage. Secondly, you are going to destroy so much meat that the bird may be wasted.

IMO, the deeper issue is the notion that we have to to go to extreemes just because we cannot end the season without killing one. I don't know how long you've been at this, but unfilled tags are a part of turkey hunting. Keep learning and keep after them and things will change. maybe not this year, but it's worth the wait. 

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » May 22nd, 2008, 9:47 am

Don't hate the bird!!! Just hate the game you just lost...That just means you can play the game with him next year..
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

Dank

Postby Dank » May 22nd, 2008, 10:52 am

ORIGINAL: Gobblernut

Don't hate the bird!!! Just hate the game ... just means you can play the game with him next year..

Thats the best way to look at it. That and the lessons learned, If you take that outlook you never lose.
Failure is often our best teacher.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 22nd, 2008, 11:25 am

Part of the allure of turkey hunting is the challenge of it all. Some hunters actually have gone to useing muzzleloader shotguns in there hunts. Makes the hunt more of a challenge for them but the enjoyment is still there for them.Ask any REAL turkey hunter and they will tell you. It's not all about getting the bird but rather the time spent during the hunt. Thats why it's called HUNTIN and not getting. Sp yes. Don't hate the birds. If you had people yelling for you at all hours of the day so they can shoot at ya then woulnd't you be a little difficult too? It's just part of the game. I hope you can learn to embrace this great sport for all it has to offer. Otherwise you just don't know what your really missing out on.

dluders

Postby dluders » May 22nd, 2008, 2:24 pm

Yes, I did read the 8-page State of Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife "Wild Turkey Spring Season 2008" pamphlet, cover-to-cover.  It doesn't mention anything about the actual LOAD that must be used in a shotgun.  It just must be 10 gauge or under.

The HUNTER SAFETY argument (about a single projectile going long range where camoflaged hunters may be hiding) is reason enough for me to use a "conventional" shotgun pellet load instead of a Sabot Deer Slug.  I don't want to get anybody else hurt.

Nevertheless, as far as "spoiling the meat," I would think it would be preferable to punch a hole through the turkey rather than have to pick through small lead pellets in the breast meat.

Anyway, it apparently IS LEGAL (but perhaps unwise or "unsporting") to use a Sabot Deer Slug for wild turkeys in Washington State.  Other states allow rifles, so the "hunter safety" risk must not be a primary concern there.

jpb

Postby jpb » May 22nd, 2008, 4:13 pm

I couldnt seal the deal with one 3" #6 on my first bird.I needed two.With out a scope i dont think i could hit a tom in the head with a slug.Id stand a better chance of just trying to bare hand catch him.
Joe

multibeard

Postby multibeard » May 22nd, 2008, 4:29 pm

Nevertheless, as far as "spoiling the meat," I would think it would be preferable to punch a hole through the turkey rather than have to pick through small lead pellets in the breast meat.

If you shoot them in the head there aren't any shot in the breast. Body shooting results in lost birds.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion