It's a wrap!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
JPH

It's a wrap!

Postby JPH » May 19th, 2008, 5:03 am

Well I closed out another turkey season on Saturday.

I guided/called for a friend. We called 4 gobblers in off the roost, only to have them hang up 30 yds away in cover! I was 4-6' behind my friend and I had a clear shot (but no gun or tag) while he was blocked by a fence post and some brush. Later we moved on some birds that would not respond to calling but came up short. And that was it for me.

I was able to log 14 days in the woods in 2 states. I tagged three mature toms, including by biggest ever (77 NWTF).

But an equal part of the story was the diffaculty of the season. Numbers were down on several of the places I hunted, weather was lousy, and my batting average as a guide took a nose dive. My first friend missed 4 times, my daughter and I got skunked on her first outing ever, my son and I got busted by jakes, my father and I went gobbleless for two days, and I described my last hunt above. And worst of all, I missed for the first time in 5 years!

You know what? I wouldn't trade a second of it. Every sunrise, every wiff of spring air and every walk in the woods touched my soul. I think it was St. Thomas Aquinas that said the beauty of nature calls us to look deeper into God's love and power. I look forward to the recall of all the memories and a deeper understanding of who He has called me to be. I hope and pray that all of you share the same peace.

So what about the rest of you. Your thoughts on the end of the season?

Dank

RE: It's a wrap!

Postby Dank » May 19th, 2008, 6:03 am

ORIGINAL: JPH
 Your thoughts on the end of the season?

I always hate to see it end (although it was nice to sleep past 4:45 the first couple saturdays). But, i've already been fishing about 5 or 6 times since the end (caught a 6 1/4 lb. bass last monday) and hope to go alot more throughout the summer. I'm also planting, cutting trails, fixing stands, etc...getting ready for deer season (bow season starts in October and you cant start to soon). So, I'll find a way to entertain myself until next spring but October cant get here soon enough. LOL.

Failure is often our best teacher.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 20th, 2008, 4:52 am

It's not over yet.

Michigan season runs to May 31 st. Hunting gets tougher to be sure...more foilage...breeding diminished...wiser birds. BUT- my two best birds were both taken on May 31 st, so it ain't over 'til it's over!

Please read about this action from two days ago-

http://forum.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=1559

It dissapoints me that the majority of forum members dessert the place when their season ends and don't hang out to see what happens up north!

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

turk2di

Postby turk2di » May 20th, 2008, 5:13 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

It dissapoints me that the majority of forum members dessert the place when their season ends and don't hang out to see what happens up north!

Jeff

I hear ya. They do it on every board i ever been on. Also disapointing are those that register & post once showing off thier kill & pic, never 2b seen again til the next spring!

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 20th, 2008, 5:54 am

it's always turkey season in my head...i just can't kill'em after may 15th.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

JPH

Postby JPH » May 20th, 2008, 6:24 am

ORIGINAL: turk2di

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

Jeff

I hear ya. They do it on every board i ever been on. Also disapointing are those that register & post once showing off thier kill & pic, never 2b seen again til the next spring!

Kill shot only posters are a big pet peeve of mine as well. But I have to admit that I tend to shift gears in the summer and visit deer forums.

I did not mean ignore those of you who can still hunt. I wish you all the best Jeff and hope your season ends by hanging one on a limb. I'll keep looking in on you.

jpb

Postby jpb » May 20th, 2008, 9:03 am

JPH..My season is also over.I have an Uncle that wants to take me out goose hunting.May take him up on that.But from now until next turk season im going to teach my self how to use a mouth call.Boy is it going to be a long year.

I also noticed that the board has slowed down.Now that my POS puter is fixed again,(I hope) i will be checking the board daily.I still need to post pics of my first quite tasty bird before my hunting post gets lost in the back pages..
Joe

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » May 20th, 2008, 1:34 pm

The Lord was good to me for another year and blessed me with tagging out, some great hunts, and I got to spend time with my cousin. Like some of you things seemed a little tougher, toms were henned up, and we had some real cold weather to start the season. I guess that is what makes you appreciate the good hunts. I can't wait until next April and get to chase some more Kentucky toms. JPH congrats on a great bird.

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » May 20th, 2008, 3:20 pm

This weekend will be my last chance until fall season.  At least I get to bring my brother out and see if we can get something going.  It has been a great season so far and I haven't even been out as much as I would have liked!  with this being my 1st season on turkeys, I'll be sure to hang around...I still have TONS to learn.  Hopefully this weekend wil work out.

Remember to take a moment this weekend...it's Memorial Day.  I'm sure we all know "someone"

Doc

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 21st, 2008, 10:46 am

Good luck with the rest of your season Jeff.

As obsessed with Turkey hunting as I am, maybe not tagging out this year will make me hunt even harder next season.  I realized that I need to find another place or two to hunt because I had a few factors working against me this year at the lease that had not been there before.

There is way too much information here to just stop by and post pictures on the braggin' board...I have learned a lot by reading what has and hasn't worked for others. It has made me a better turkey hunter.

Luck Counts, good or bad

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion