Locator call in fall !!!

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Gobblernut

Locator call in fall !!!

Postby Gobblernut » May 15th, 2008, 8:37 pm

SO Will they gobble or what if you use one!!
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

allaboutshooting

RE: Locator call in fall !!!

Postby allaboutshooting » May 15th, 2008, 9:03 pm

I've been fall turkey hunting for a long time now and enjoy it as much, maybe more than the spring season. I've never heard a bird gobble in the fall but have hunted with folks who have.

The kee kee has always worked for me, even if I haven't located a flock and "busted" them. When I can't locate birds by sight, I'll usually just sit and kee kee for a while. That usually produces a bird, when I'm patient and don't move too soon.

I prefer to locate a flock, scatter them and then call them back. It's a lot more fun and you hear so many more birds that way.

Regardless of how you do it, I'd sure encourage you to hunt turkeys in the fall.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » May 15th, 2008, 10:39 pm

So how often should I call ??? once every 15 min or what have never hunted in the fall but am definently going to just trying to figure out all I can before it gets here..Thanks..
Gobblernut

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » May 19th, 2008, 9:11 am

You do know that those fall tags count against your spring tags? Our limit in NC is only 2 birds so if I get one in the fall then I am allowed only 1 in the spring.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » May 19th, 2008, 6:30 pm

Yep!! Just glad I live in Virginia...3 tags here...
Gobblernut

MAK

Postby MAK » May 29th, 2008, 8:55 am

I've heard a Jake 1/2 gobble in the fall once the flock had been broken, one time in 40+ years of hunting fall turkeys.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 29th, 2008, 10:09 am

Hey Jimmy,

I've never used a crow, owl, woodpecker, etc. call in the fall. I always consider a kee kee, yelps or clucks as "locator calls" if I can't find a flock and scatter them.

They will certainly respond to those calls. I've had birds come in from very long distances and make their way over hills, etc. just to see who was "talking" to them.

As far as frequency of calling, I vary mine. I may just sit and call a couple of times, pretty low volume at first and not call for several minutes, just listening.

Those birds may hear you from quite a distance and even call back, without your being able to hear them, if you don't listen very closely. If I don't hear anything, I'll call pretty aggressively and then stay quiet so that I can listen. I'll repeat that until birds come or I decide to relocate.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Gobblernut

Postby Gobblernut » June 7th, 2008, 10:21 pm

Thanks allaboutshooting.. I guess I ask a preety dumb question there. I should have thought it through before asking but!! Thanks for the info I'll definently be out there this fall kee kee and all I'm sure I'll learn from my mistkes as I did this spring but that's part of the game..
Gobblernut

olesmoky12

Postby olesmoky12 » June 8th, 2008, 7:09 pm

Sounds like this fall is going to be quite the experience for both of us. I found a guy that has killed several fall turkey and he hunts a area that I know every well. He said he calls very little while hunting but instead just finds the birds after they come off the limb and get in front of them. You must know every inch of the land to pull this off but I guess it can be done. I asked about trying to bust the flock and if he had any luck with this method. He said he has but never killed a gobbler while doing this but instead only had hens return to his call.
  Keep me posted if you find any other methods on getting that first big tom.
Olesmoky

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » June 8th, 2008, 8:39 pm

a good ol' spot & stalk is the best way i've found to take the biggins in the fall but every once in awhile they gobble on the roost & i run to them here in sothern tn we have some warm falls & they gobble quite a bit .ever thought about using the fall either sex rules as a management tool to thin out some of those hens that ol' gobbler likes so much in the spring kinda like you do with does in deer season ?oh yeah if you can take hens in your location

Next

Return to Fall Hunting