Decision Time: Through the Looking Glass

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: Through the Looking Glass

Postby Brian Lovett » February 22nd, 2012, 11:16 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Through the Looking Glass

Turkey hunters often get so ramped up that they fail to notice pretty obvious stuff. You listen so intently for a gobble or bore holes in the air looking for a distant bird that you almost trip over something in your lap.

That’s where two buddies and I were one late-May morning in southwestern Wisconsin. The day had already been memorable, with an hour-long lightning storm, 30-mph winds and several inches of rain. But the rain had stopped, and we were at a new property, ready for action.

The spot had some pretty steep terrain, so we were slipping along below a ridge, stopping now and then to peek over the top into the timber below or glass ahead of us in the hopes of seeing a bird. And then we looked down. Sure enough, there was a gobbler track, and it couldn’t have been more than a few minutes old. In fact, the tracks followed the ridge in the same direction we were heading.

Not wanting to ignore the ultra-obvious, we followed the tracks until they terminated at the edge of a small woodlot. The timber was about 100 yards deep and was bordered on the other side by a huge cornfield, which is where we figured the gobbler might be drying off and strutting. However, we didn’t know for sure. We hadn’t yet run a call, so the safe play would be to set up, call a bit and make the next decision based on any response from the bird. Or, we could slip through the woods and glass the field, and then make a move on the turkey. Hmm.

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Click here to get your 2012 Spring Gobbler Hunter's Value Pack!

Cut N Run

Re: Decision Time: Through the Looking Glass

Postby Cut N Run » February 22nd, 2012, 1:01 pm

I don't have many open fields to hunt around and have a serious lack of experience hunting that kind of area. I'd guess with high winds and rain, checking a low protected area of the field might be a smart play. The turkey could be out of the wind, but still be in the open in the sun where he could dry out. My experience is that turkeys don't like the wet woods much in high wind.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » February 23rd, 2012, 11:40 am

I would have tried a locator. A loud crow call before I set up to call to him. After setting up and a couple of series of calling then I would have checked the cornfield.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » February 23rd, 2012, 11:00 pm

I would try to shock him with a locator call or call to him after I found at least an acceptable set up spot..

I would not just charge thru the woods without trying some type of call for fear of bumping right into him
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » February 24th, 2012, 12:42 am

Steve_In wrote:I would have tried a locator. A loud crow call before I set up to call to him. After setting up and a couple of series of calling then I would have checked the cornfield.

My decision too. No sense in bumping the bird in an anxious rush.
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

Return to Decision Time