Any luck in Pa?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
dpittman

RE: Any luck in Pa?

Postby dpittman » May 16th, 2008, 2:29 am

swpatkyhunter,  I have also hunted a lot this season (10 days). I killed one the first morning @7:00. Been trying to filll my seconf tag and has been very rough. I also think it may pick up a little as we have been seeing multiple toms together. My brother called in 3 longbeards and 2 jakes togethr yesterday and killed one of the LB's. They were gobbling pretty good. We have had so much rain and fog this week, seems to shut them down a little. Fields are waist high and the leaves in the woods make it nearly impossible to see very far......well good luck rest of season

MAK

Postby MAK » May 16th, 2008, 9:13 am

Last weekend more of the same! - gobblers being stolen from me by hens, this time I "almost" made the right move - -LOL.

On 4 succeeding days I've lost 4 gobbling gobblers to those dang hussies! Raining each day, my toes are webbing. 

MAK

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 19th, 2008, 9:47 am

LOL. I know just what you mean MAK! At least in my area the hens are starting to move off. But the weather still sucks.LOL. But this morning I had two hens come right up to me. Go figure. Now that there seperated all I can call in is the dadburn hens! LOL.

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 19th, 2008, 11:00 am

howdy swpatrkyhunter,
do you happen to hunt with any dekes?
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 19th, 2008, 6:37 pm

As a matter of fact I did Steroid. I used a feeding hen decoy. But they seemed to not even notice it. The hens came in from my back and to the right. LoL. They had pin pointed where the calling was coming from. The one hen walked right up to me puttin and purring the whole time. She looked right at me but did not seem to know I was there. But the decoy was in plain sight in a feild I was hunting along. I was surprised they did not go to check it out.

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 20th, 2008, 2:54 am

you otta try a full strut tom deke...i use the b-mobile from primos and i would have to say that it really works on those stubborn toms. i actually tested it for the first time by setting it out in an open pasture....no calling what so ever, and 4 longbeards approached it at  running speeds trying to destroy it. i have had several successful hunts while using it....just a thought. 
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 20th, 2008, 6:38 pm

I've heard some good feedback about those B-Mobile dekes. I think I am going to invest in one.I have used hen and jake dekes for the last couple years now and had very little luck with them to be honest with you. The instance with the hens coming in to my calling position is one reason I had come up with a bracket to mount on the bottom of a push-pull call box. I steak the box under a hen decoy and run a fishing line from it back to me. I can pull an the line and make the calls come from the decoy location. I only got to use it once this year because of the rainy weather. ( the call is not water proof -yet ). It worked out pretty good. A hen came up and looked at the decoy and lead the toms away from it. LOL. At that time of the season the hens were being really difficult. It's not supposed to rain in the morning tomorrow so I hope to have a good hunt. But. Any day you get to hunt is a good day in my book.

PA Limbhanger

Postby PA Limbhanger » May 21st, 2008, 8:28 am

I had some luck on Saturday morning. Got one with a 10" beard and 3/4" spurs. He came in silent at about 8:30am heading to my decoy. Been an awfully rainy season this year, I think we need a few warm sunny days to get them fired up!!

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 21st, 2008, 6:34 pm

I agree Pa limbhanger. But with only a couple days left in the season I don't see much chance for that. Congrats on the turkey! Do you have pics?

shooter458

Postby shooter458 » May 22nd, 2008, 10:48 am

same story in central pa.too many hens i`ve watch flocks of 20 to 30 birds? with multiple struters.and have seen many nesting hens been out about 10 days so far worst season i can remember gobbling sparse but still talking rain and high winds here in altoona area but i`ll keep at it one thing for sure we need to shoot off some hens this fall good luck guys

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion