Virgin Property/Birds late season???

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
mikeannikki

Virgin Property/Birds late season???

Postby mikeannikki » May 15th, 2008, 12:52 pm

Hey have a couple Q's.  I just scored permission for a property bout a 500 acre farm.  I know for sure that nobody has hunted this for turkey ever.  The caretaker has seen them and I saw a Jake this morning while back there.  How aggressive would you get with birds this late in the season (only 3 days left)  calling these birds.  I know I have a tendency to call way less this late at my other places but these birds have not been called to at all.  I am stoked about this as it is a Turkey hunter's dream property,  I could go on and on but you get the pic....  hidden fields all over, heavy timber and the whole nine yards.  Thanks for any advice.  Have never had this kind of opportunity before with such limited time.  I do have some experience with this property and the lay of the land and will be studying up on my maps tonight.  Will check for replies later  Thanks all.  Mike[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Fan Club

RE: Virgin Property/Birds late season???

Postby Fan Club » May 15th, 2008, 2:22 pm

Go into it slow and easy just like you should all turkey hunts.

Call softly and sparingly. On virgin birds that might be all it takes. If you get no reaction or silent birds after a decent amount of time, ramp up the volume and urgency. Still nothing, move.

Nothings' a gimme, but generally unmolested or early season birds are easier than late season or "educated" birds. Go after 'em, cause you only got three days... but if you're not immediately successful, try not to educate 'em.

I'm interested to see how this goes.

JB
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 15th, 2008, 5:28 pm

I'd be calling in sick to work and telling the family that they will be seeing  me in about 3 days.

Sweet that you have 500 virgin acres to hunt alone.  I'd be looking along the roads and paths that connect the fields for sign.  There will be a bit more sign in some of the more favored areas.  Damp spots hold tracks that tell what birds travel which direction. 

I usually don't call much late in the season. The Turkeys will tell you what they want.  Sometimes challenging a gobbler with another gobble will get his blood boiling and he will come looking to kick some @$$. You better be sure you are the only one hunting there before you use that trick though.

Best of luck.  I also hope you get to hunt that place next year from the start of the season. Sounds great.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

JPH

Postby JPH » May 16th, 2008, 3:19 am

There are some really wise hunters on this forum...and I am almost always out of step with them. I suppose it's like they say, "If you have to ask...it's you (meaning me)." [:D]

Heck yes I'd be aggressive! What do you have to loose at this point? On a 500 acre farm with good habitat, it would be hard to educate every gobbler in 3 days if you wanted to.

If it were me, I'd lighten the load to the bare essentials (locator, favorite calls, map, shells & toilet paper). Get to a central location early and haul ass to the first gobble. Get in as tight as possible and let 'em have it once he's on the ground. If that does not work, go find another.

So many fresh gobblers and so little time. Make the most of it!

And just to prove that I'm not all talk, I am doing that very thing tomorrow morning (second to last day here in IA). My buddy owns 320 acres and it has not been hunted this year. He wants me to guide for him. I told him to wear his running shoes. Live in fame or go down in flames...

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 16th, 2008, 5:31 am

Well. Late season is late season. As far as you know nobody has been in there. But. As we all know just because some people don't have permission to hunt someplace does not mean that they don't. 500 acres is alot of ground to keep an eye on. So if it were me I would hunt them the same as I would one any tract of land. Judge how you should call by the reaction of the birds. If by some chance there have been hunters sneaking in to hunt these birds then you don't want to go in there and start calling agressive. That may just push them away and ruin your chances. Remember. Hens don't just go about calling agressivly all the time. So you should'nt eathier. Play it by ear and adjust to the birds moods just like any other hunt. Good luck hope you bust one.

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 16th, 2008, 6:03 am

i had the opportunity this year as well to hunt some un-hunted property...2 different tracks as a matter of fact....hunt it like you would any other track. i tried to be aggressive and that didn't work..so i went back to calling like i have always done and sure enough...1 bird down. 
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

JPH

Postby JPH » May 16th, 2008, 6:23 am

ORIGINAL: STEROIDCHICKEN
i tried to be aggressive and that didn't work..so i went back to calling like i have always done and sure enough...1 bird down. 

This lends itself to my point. Being aggressive does not mean that you cannot fall back on less aggressive tactics later. I am much more apt to sit and call blindly late in the morning.

My advice is baised much more on the fact that there is so little time left, than it is about "un-hunted" turkeys. Turkeys are being hunted every day of their lives so they are going to do whatever they have to do to survive. With only a weekend left, we have to pull out the stops.

mikeannikki

Postby mikeannikki » May 16th, 2008, 1:13 pm

Well day one did not go as I had envisioned.  Not one gobble which does not surprise me as the rest of my buds have been reporting the same thing in this county.  I tried the front half  I will go all the way back in the morn.  Thanks for all the advice.  This property is just begging for turkey's as I forgot just how nice it is.  No matter no birds is no birds.   I will try back in farther thinking the caretaker is out mowing and disturbing the birds from the front lateley.  Gonna try a bottle of good wine and a personal thank you to hopefully lock it for next year.  Will let you know how the morn goes   Thanks all      Mike

mikeannikki

Postby mikeannikki » May 17th, 2008, 7:29 am

Got up this morn and the wind was goin bout 20mph along with rain.  Climbed back in bed bout 3 minutes later.  Not lookin good for morn so hopefully can lock it for next year.  Thanks     Mike
"Of all the things I have felt in the woods, the only thing I have never felt is old"

Return to Strategies