Drying a turkey wing

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
gimpee

Drying a turkey wing

Postby gimpee » May 15th, 2008, 4:29 pm

I saved one wing from the turkey I took this year.  How do you preserve the wing?

Gobblernut

RE: Drying a turkey wing

Postby Gobblernut » May 15th, 2008, 8:14 pm

I personally would recommend pinning it down onto a piece of cardboard an putting salt or borax on any exposed flesh...
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

zipperman351

Postby zipperman351 » May 17th, 2008, 11:23 am

Did  you make a wing bone call with it? It is easy to do and great for any kind of mantle.Just cut the end off and boil them ,then clean the inside ,,,then put them together,,,,I use windshield putty, like clear glass...zipperman

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 18th, 2008, 3:41 pm

Hey Brian,

You've been given good advice. It's very easy to preserve a turkey wing or fan. You'll want to cut away as much of the meat/fat, etc. as possible and then use a good bit of 20 Mule Team Borax on the area where you removed the meat/fat. You should use it liberally.

Then just spread the wing in whatever way you want it, pin or nail it in place and set it somplace away from pests and pets and let it dry. I do the same thing with turkey beards and I have preserved legs, etc. the same way.

I think I'm still using borax that I bought 10 years ago. Just put it in an air tight container and it will last for years and years.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion