???CAN WE BUY MORE THEN 1 TAG IN MN???

turkey junky

???CAN WE BUY MORE THEN 1 TAG IN MN???

Postby turkey junky » February 20th, 2012, 11:28 pm

hey guys my brother & i were looking at the new rules for MN turkey hunting & i do realize that we can only harvest 1 turkey in MN that has not changed but in looking at the surplus license sales it says any eligible person can buy a tag the day after the mid march surplus license sale day for those who sent in & were un-successful in the drawing the next day any eligible person can buy a surplus tag if any are left over for a give n hunt period/season...??? so how do you guys read into this statement???

also my brother was reading the new rules & what not & he has the a question of are the tags unlimited for the last 4 time periods/seasons??? or are they only selling for example 1835 tags for each of the last 4 seasons in hunt area 501??? if the tags were unlimited in theory they could sell 1836+ plus tags & surpass the 1835 tag mark set by the MNDNR for the 1st 4 hunt periods in hunt unit 501 correct??? or once they would sell the 1835th tag there would be no more tags available or sold for that season in hunt unit 501???

of course once we would shoot a turkey our other tags would become void if they would/will even sell us the 2nd tag for another season??? they do say for sure once we draw a tag were are not valid to buy a archery only tag they dont say if we drew a tag we are not eligible for a surplus license for another hunt period / season???

i may have to take back my grips about the new changes not sure as of yet???

dewey

Re: ???CAN WE BUY MORE THEN 1 TAG IN MN???

Postby dewey » February 21st, 2012, 12:24 pm

I have noticed that before as well but I always just kind of blew it off as the MN DNR not being crystal clear with their regulations :x However an email to the MN DNR asking the questions of purchasing multiple tags would be a great idea.

As for the second portion of your question I would think that the last 4 time periods are truly unlimited. I also think they would have a pretty good idea of how many hunters will purchase an OTC for the last 4 time periods and how successful those hunters would be by looking at previous years results. This is another question that could be sent to the MN DNR for clarification.

I have emailed the MN DNR a few times on other topics and have found them very helpful.

Let me know if you are or anre not going to send the MN DNR an email as I would be happy to do it if you don't.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » February 21st, 2012, 1:01 pm

go ahead dewey & e-mail the MNDNR if u wish i will not be doing so...

yes there is many rules/laws that are up to our own interpretation of the laws & the game wardens that inforce them... it could all be handled by just clearing up a few simple issues but the MNDNR is to bizzy...???

i had a go round with a game warden & a few wildlife biologist about what it ment to be a licensed prairie chicken hunter & who was eligible to work dogs for our group... the law stated a licensed prairie chicken hunter could work dogs for another group if he was licensed... well we had a guy who was licensed but not for the unit we were in he wasnt hunting just working dogs for us the warden said u all have to be licensed in the same hunt area to have another hunter work dogs for you we showed him the wording in the small game law booklet & he just said the same thing over & over about needing to be licensed in the same hunt area to help our group & work dogs for us but he also said that law is basicly up to the warden in a particular area to inforce how he sees fit??? he felt we new we were bending a law so he said i will have to say ur buddy cant help/work dogs for you but the other warden in the county may see it another way & have no prob with it unless our buddy had a gun with at the time so???

dewey

Postby dewey » March 20th, 2012, 3:30 pm

This issue is covered in the Turkey Hunt Rules page 2 at the following link.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/recreation ... _rules.pdf

Here is an exceprt from the Hunt Rules concerning multiple tags.

Licenses for the wild turkey hunt are awarded in a computerized preference drawing. Licensed turkey hunters are restricted to the WILD TURKEY PERMIT AREA and the TIME PERIOD for which their license is issued. An archery only license valid for the last four time periods (E-H) can be purchased. Winners in the lottery are not eligible to purchase archery only permits. Only one turkey license can be purchased per season. Landowner permission is required for private agricultural land or posted land. If you have forgotten which wild turkey permit area and/or time period you applied for, it is printed on your mailing label.
The DNR hopes you have a safe and enjoyable wild turkey hunt.

This issue has now been put to rest.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » March 20th, 2012, 11:25 pm

good man dewey i guess i always took that only 1 license can be purchased per season as season A,B,C ETC. guess thats is not the case thanks again dewey

Return to Minnesota