Knight TK2000 Loading

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
flati

RE: Knight TK2000 Loading

Postby flati » May 14th, 2008, 2:39 pm

Got a question.  A week or so ago I shot my muzzleloading shotgun a few times (Knight TK2000) and after the final shot I reloaded the gun to then hunt the turkey season with.  My question is: Should I run something through the nipple to guarantee I have no ignition problems if a shot presents itself or will this not be an issue after only a few shots?

dpittman

Postby dpittman » May 14th, 2008, 6:32 pm

I run a straitened safety pin or small paper clip through the flash hole after each shot. It only takes a second. It seems they get some pretty good build-up in the breech plug and if you didn't get it out I suppose you could have some type of hangfire or delayed fire. I also shine a small flashlight thru the flash hole and if I see light I am good to go. Also if I was putting my gun away for a week I would clean it thoroughly.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » May 14th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Nice going John.  It seemslike forever for the smoke to clear.
Doug, My brother and I have both tried the soft felt wads with zero success.  The wads I use are very hard.  The Circle fly wads are slightly softer.  I found my gun liked a heavy powder charge.  The weight of the shot will keep the wads in contact with the barrel walls thru the choke.  My overpowder wad is like the stuff they make puzzles out of real heavy cardboard.  Blowby usually gets you donuts.
Flati, I have been messing with ML for over 40 years.  I learned early on a fouled dirty bore was a misfire waiting to happen.  I don't know much about the new powders except Pyrodex, and just a little about it.  I thourghly clean any muzzleloader I am going to hunt with.  I end up dousing the bore with brake cleaner to assure there is no oil or residue left inside.  I don't believe them when they claim non-crossive powders.  They told us that about Pyro and it has ruined more barrels than Black powder.  You can keep a load in a clean barrel and it will not give you a problem.  You never know with a fouled barrel.  Play it safe and put a tag on you gun if you decide to keep it charged. 
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

jcscofie

Postby jcscofie » May 15th, 2008, 5:23 am

Thinking about the over-shot wads - I used both some felt that I got at a local gun shop and the black foam wads that came with the Knight shot cups - did'nt have a problem with either - I would be sure the bore was completely dry - no solvent - no oil .... just a thought...

On the flash hole - I fire a primer or two at the grass before loading the gun and putting it in the truck... seems it might help - had no misfires or delays in the 5-6 loads I patterened and on the one shot on the field ...

Granted no wealth of experience on my part - but no problems so far either...
Good luck
John

dpittman

Postby dpittman » May 15th, 2008, 7:38 am

Larry L.  What is the yellow ranger wad you are talking about? Do you think the wad plays the biggest part in good patterns or hardness of shot?
Where do you live in ID? I just moved back to PA from Boise a couple of years ago (stupid thing to do). Hunted turkeys there quite a bit and shot Rio's on the snake and merriams in the mtns.

dpittman

Postby dpittman » May 15th, 2008, 10:56 am

shot some more today with same results. 5 and 6 shot full wads with 8 petals (extra slits). 1.75 oz loads. 80, 90 and 100 gr charges of T7. No matter what I do the gun shoots everything exactly rhe same. At 30 yards I can get 85% patterns in a 30 inch circle. Knight claims [email=85%@40]85%@40[/email] Yds. I wonder if they are really shooting 40 yards. Am I expecting too much or am I doing something wrong? Getting close to selling and getting a T/C Encore 209X12 ML shotgun. At least it has interchangable choke.

jcscofie

Postby jcscofie » May 16th, 2008, 6:48 am

Steve,
You mentioned using overpowder wad - Knight only suggests overshot wad in their loading instructions for TK2000 - have you used both overpowder and overshot wads in TK2000 with success?
Thanks
John

jcscofie

Postby jcscofie » May 16th, 2008, 7:13 am

Larry,
Saw your target shoot record on the Knight web site - in the Trophy room link.... Man - I want to shoot whatever loads you are shooting!!!!
Great shooting!!!!
John

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » May 16th, 2008, 6:24 pm

John I am using an original 10 SxS.  It was bored, bobbed and Jug choked when I had the barrels re-joined.  I would post a picture but it is a real P.I.T.A. on this site, so I have a link.  I do not use shot cups.  I tried them in a old hammer gun and I did not like the residue I got in the bore.

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/Steve_In/Turkey%2008/

Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 17th, 2008, 4:55 am

Hey Jeff,

Yes, I do appreciate that story. It's amazing sometimes how one event changes history. I also enjoyed hearing that you and your Dad go on an annual hunt. That's such a great thing to do and to be able to enjoy that time and hear the stories.

I appreciate your sharing that.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion