20 ga 870 barell?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
mikeannikki

20 ga 870 barell?

Postby mikeannikki » May 14th, 2008, 2:18 pm

Hello all.  I have a recently aquired 20 ga 870 older Wingmaster.  Nice shotgun that I carried when I was younger that my buddy finally traded back to me.  It has an unvented modified barell and I would like to make this a turkey gun my kids can shoot next year.  Any ideas where I can get a barell vent rib screw chokes?  And also anyone have this and what is your best choke/shell combo as far a pattern goes.  Thanks

Mike Willis
"Of all the things I have felt in the woods, the only thing I have never felt is old"

allaboutshooting

RE: 20 ga 870 barell?

Postby allaboutshooting » May 14th, 2008, 4:25 pm

Hey Mike,

My wife and I both shoot 20 gauge Remington 870's for hunting and in still target competitions. They are great guns, very reliable and will last a lifetime with just a little care.

You should be able to find barrels pretty easily to fit that gun. One dealer, also an authorized Remington repair station, is Mann & Son (Since 1945). You can reach them at 618.357.2911. They are great folks and John Mann is the best gunsmith that I know.

One thing that we've learned, over the last 8 years as we've worked with the Swarm 20 Gauge Turkey Choke in research and development, is that the 26" barrel has a tremendous advantage over shorter barrels in 20 gauge guns. There's no real advantage to anything longer but when you go to the really short barrels, you sacrifice a good bit in patterning.

Doris and I have been fortunate to have set 2 world records and Doris has also won a world championship with her 870, the Swarm 20 Gauge Turkey Choke and Hevi-13 shotshells.  That makes a good combination.

I'd also recommend that you consider the Winchester Xtened Range Hi-Density shells. They are excellent and also do well with the Swarm Choke.

The only lead shell that I can recommend is the Winchester Supreme Turkey shell. It does not have the range that the "hard" shot shells have but will deliver acceptable patterns at reasonable ranges.

If I can be of any help to you whatsover, please do not hesitate to contact me and I'll do all that I can to be of assistance.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

winchester 1897

Postby winchester 1897 » May 16th, 2008, 6:10 am

Mike, I too have acquired an 870 Wingmaster 3 " 20 gauge LW ,which adds to the problem of finding a suitable barrel with Rem-choke tubes--Found it at the Bow Shack,for around $220.00 26" vent rib-Remington manufacture-new. I have put an Indian Creek .555 choke in it and shot a killing 40 yard pattern with the newer Hevi-Shot # 6 ,3 " ammo(can tell the newer shell by the sealent on the crimp.I am going to polish the bore,and camo the gun and use it next season--am tired of carrying the 870 12 gauge I have used for years--very successfully.
Will probably use Nitros when I am finished. I have to have the receiver drilled and tapped for a scope mount--I use a Trijicon red dot,since my eyes are getting a little old.That should make it a good ,light,dependable turkey killer.I hope your project goes well, If I can assist you,please contact me.

mikeannikki

Postby mikeannikki » May 16th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Thanks all   Nice part is I have plenty of time now till next year.  I am with you 1897 in that I learning to be a lightwad.  If I get nice patterns it will be hard to leave the 20 at home.  We'll see how the kids do with it.  Mike

Return to Shooting