"DUH!" Moment

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
JPH

RE: "DUH!" Moment

Postby JPH » May 13th, 2008, 6:04 am

Have you ever hunted all day only to "unload" an already unloaded gun at your vehicle at the end of the day? I have. Never took my safety off during the hunt, so it was only a "near-DUH!" moment.

Dank

Postby Dank » May 13th, 2008, 6:23 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

Have you ever hunted all day only to "unload" an already unloaded gun at your vehicle at the end of the day?

Man I have done that so many times its scary!!! Luckily the only time its ever come back to bite me was a shot at a doe.
Failure is often our best teacher.

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » May 13th, 2008, 6:38 am

I did that one time in Iraq!  We came back from a patrol and When I tried to eject the round...nothing happened!  It seems that the magazine jammed and no round advanced.  If I had to fire, I would have heard a "click" instead of "bang."  It would have only taken 1/2 a second to fix, but it's not what you want to have happen when it counts.  Needless to say it only happened once.

Doc

JPH

Postby JPH » May 13th, 2008, 7:17 am

ORIGINAL: grunt_doc
I did that one time in Iraq! 

Okay, that takes it to a new level.

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » May 13th, 2008, 7:47 am

Yeah, but I'm still here and you can bet your butt it only happened one time!  That includes hunting!  It wasn't so much of a duh! moment as it was I think I'm going to throw up, moment.

Doc

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 13th, 2008, 8:37 am

this duh moment came from a friend of mine, not once,not twice, but three times. my buddy was having a terrible time trying to kill a longbeard a couple seasons ago. me, being the guy i am, offered to lend a hand. the first outting, sun beaming down, just a little bit of a chill in the air was all it took, 5 minutes after set-up, he was out cold, almost to the snoring point. needless to say, here came the longbeard, all the while, i was throwing acorns at him to wake him from his deep-dream...no luck, he was out. he did manage to wake when the 3-1/2" alarm clock went off...he was furious, but so was i. i was there to help him, but when you refuse to wake...a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.
2nd scenario. me,the land owner and my buddy got on a hot bird...shortly after set-up...you guessed it. here come the longbeard strutt'n it up. me and the land owner was setting beside one another while my buddy was to our left about 10 yards or so...we kept anticipating the shot that never came..after a while had passed, i got up and went over to my buddy and asked why didn't he shoot the bird...he said, " what bird, ain't no bird come out here"...me and the land owner fell over laughing. he wouldn't believe me if i told him what happened but when the land owner told him...i think he listened...that was another one that i could have taken but didn't want to rub it in after the last incident.
3rd scenario...me and my buddy set up about 60 yards apart...the longbeard was hanging up for some reason before this hunt took place so i set him up at that point and i went further back to do the calling...here we go again, not one, but two longbeards came out to the dekes, strutted around then lost interest..i was furious at this point, knowing full well that my buddy was sleeping again.
he denied  being asleep again...that was kinda the straw that broke the camels back for that year.
i did manage to call him in a bird opening day of the kentucky season this year..i did have him within arm's reach though....he closed the deal and was a happy man.    
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 13th, 2008, 4:03 pm

You're a patient man, Roger...

Have you ever hunted all day only to "unload" an already unloaded gun

The ever changing weather and winter freezing/thawing cycles here in Michigan can give a muzzle loader fits. The constant temperature changes and sweating metal can turn black powder into sludge. Discharging your gun into the ground every night gets to be expensive. We have tried leaving loaded (but uncapped) guns in the garage and in trucks overnight to avoid bringing them into a heated house. It doesn't seem to make a difference.

More than once I have decided to discharge my gun after several hunts and it hasn't gone off. It hasn't cost me a big buck yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. It's a crappy feeling.

Any ideas?

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

JPH

Postby JPH » May 14th, 2008, 4:14 am

ORIGINAL: Fan Club

More than once I have decided to discharge my gun after several hunts and it hasn't gone off. It hasn't cost me a big buck yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. It's a crappy feeling.

Any ideas?

Jeff

Jeff, this is not what you want to hear, but I have learned that if there has been ANY moisture or signifigant change in tempature, I must break down my rifle and run a dry swab through it. Once it becomes a habit it's not so bad.

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 14th, 2008, 4:19 am

duh moment with a muzzleloader....i purchased a muzzleloader a few years back but never had the chance to actually hunt with it...from the time that i bought it, every year i was scheduled to go out of town to arizona for business meetings whenever muzzleloader season rolled around. well, last year, the meeting got bumped a week before so i was excited about hunting with it the first time ever.
got up early that morning and a few guys in camp were firing theirs without the load actually being in them...it was suppose to dry any moisture out, i reckon'.
me being new to the sport of muzzleloading, i tried to do the same thing, however, when i went to put the cap in, i found that my breech plug was not in my gun...i could see it in my mind sitting on the top shelf of my gun safe....needless to say, i missed opening weekend with my ml and luckily i brought my bow with me, i bowhunted instead...maybe this year will be my first experience with it...i won't forget this year..i hope.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

msc43283

Postby msc43283 » May 14th, 2008, 4:48 am

ORIGINAL: STEROIDCHICKEN

this duh moment came from a friend of mine, not once,not twice, but three times. my buddy was having a terrible time trying to kill a longbeard a couple seasons ago. me, being the guy i am, offered to lend a hand. the first outting, sun beaming down, just a little bit of a chill in the air was all it took, 5 minutes after set-up, he was out cold, almost to the snoring point. needless to say, here came the longbeard, all the while, i was throwing acorns at him to wake him from his deep-dream...no luck, he was out. he did manage to wake when the 3-1/2" alarm clock went off...he was furious, but so was i. i was there to help him, but when you refuse to wake...a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.
2nd scenario. me,the land owner and my buddy got on a hot bird...shortly after set-up...you guessed it. here come the longbeard strutt'n it up. me and the land owner was setting beside one another while my buddy was to our left about 10 yards or so...we kept anticipating the shot that never came..after a while had passed, i got up and went over to my buddy and asked why didn't he shoot the bird...he said, " what bird, ain't no bird come out here"...me and the land owner fell over laughing. he wouldn't believe me if i told him what happened but when the land owner told him...i think he listened...that was another one that i could have taken but didn't want to rub it in after the last incident.
3rd scenario...me and my buddy set up about 60 yards apart...the longbeard was hanging up for some reason before this hunt took place so i set him up at that point and i went further back to do the calling...here we go again, not one, but two longbeards came out to the dekes, strutted around then lost interest..i was furious at this point, knowing full well that my buddy was sleeping again.
he denied  being asleep again...that was kinda the straw that broke the camels back for that year.
i did manage to call him in a bird opening day of the kentucky season this year..i did have him within arm's reach though....he closed the deal and was a happy man.    

I'd get him one of those remote control shock collars like you use on a dog.  Hit the thing when you see a bird coming.  He has no reason to get mad about not killing something if he's falling asleep that much.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion