Flocks into Spring Break Up

charlie elk

Flocks into Spring Break Up

Postby charlie elk » February 20th, 2012, 12:37 pm

I have been traveling around western and eastern WI & MN over the last couple of weeks and I have been noticing small scattered flocks of turkeys across the landscapes rather than the large winter flocks. Looks a lot like spring break up has started or maybe the winter flocks didn't form this year due to the mild weather.
Northern Carlos Avery in MN looks like it has good numbers of birds.
Across northern Polk county (unit 4) the turkey numbers look promising; good news after some slightly down years. South part of 4 & 1 are as usual looking good. Gobblers are gobbling, yelping, strutting and sparring making it hard to focus on things not turkey related. ;)
Turkey dog Vic encountered seven field toms which he promptly charged only to find they didn't fly or run away. Rather they began running and flopping pell-mell around him. Vic did not mind this one bit his hyper drive kicked in along with excited barking; had he focused on any one tom he probably would have caught it. Vic just is not getting the season closed concept at all. He looked over at me as if saying; "What? You idiot, did you forget the gun for?" :lol: Not a single time during the fall season did turkeys of any kind behave in this fashion. They never did fly, Vic circled opposite me and drove them running right by.

Anyone else seeing turkeys out and around?
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Re: Flocks into Spring Break Up

Postby dewey » February 20th, 2012, 2:29 pm

My father in law has been seeing flocks of about 50-60 near his place Southeast of Detroit Lakes ss recent as 2-9. However he he has been in Mexico the past week and a half so I will have him give me more reports next week when he gets back.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 20th, 2012, 10:37 pm

I think this winter has a lot to do with the size of the flocks. I noticed the flocks up around Montello area were a lot smaller this winter, 15-30 birds in flocks. Even down here the flocks seem smaller, but seeing a lot more flocks. I only found one flock that had over 80 birds in it, most had under 35. I think with this easy winter the birds didn't flock up quite as bad, so it should be a great spring, unless we get a lot of late snow? I don't think your going to see a quarter of the winter kill this year.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

eggshell

Postby eggshell » February 21st, 2012, 6:56 am

I heard a bird Gobbling yesterday morning. They will gobble occasionally all year long, but this one was pretty regular for about a half hour at daylight.
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » February 23rd, 2012, 10:02 am

All over Waupaca,Waushara, & a little Outagamie and Shawano countys during the last couple days, not a bird to be found...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » February 24th, 2012, 10:31 am

arrowsonly wrote:All over Waupaca,Waushara, & a little Outagamie and Shawano countys during the last couple days, not a bird to be found...

That sucks! :(
But then sometimes it seems the turkeys have walked off the edge of the world only to turn up next week. But-Ouch that is a big area to not see anything.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Wisconsin