Knight TK2000 Loading

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
flati

Knight TK2000 Loading

Postby flati » May 10th, 2008, 12:00 pm

Wondering if someone could give me some tips on using the Knight TK2000 muzzleloading shotgun.  Whats the easiest way to load the overshot wad piece that keeps the shot from falling out the barrel, I sometimes get it in the barrel sideways.  Any recommended loads your using appreciated.  I'm currently using no. 5's with 100 grain 777 and musket caps.  Thanks guys...

allaboutshooting

RE: Knight TK2000 Loading

Postby allaboutshooting » May 10th, 2008, 1:13 pm

Hey Fred,

Larry Lombard who lives in Idaho and set the first World Record in NWTF Sanctioned Still Target Shoots in the ML Class last year, shoots a Knight TK2000 and knows more about that gun than anyone I know.

I'm not sure if he's "signed-up" here but I'll contact him and ask him to do that. That way he can share his experience with you and others who may shoot that gun.

Larry's a great guy and always willing to help his fellow shooters. Hopefully, he'll be on here soon.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

flati

Postby flati » May 11th, 2008, 10:41 am

That would be great.  This is the first year I have tried the muzzleloading thing for turkey and just recently purchased a TK2000.  I shot it for the first time a few days ago and think I'm hooked.  My wife just shakes her head because I have a Benelli that I "just had to have" and now this new toy. 

I'd really like to pick the brain of someone that has that much experience and wisdom.  I sure appreciate your help.  Looking forward to chatting with him.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 11th, 2008, 3:09 pm

Fred-

Can't help you with your question, but I have some interesting Knight trivia that Clark will probably appreciate as well.

I just returned from our annual trip, hunting for 7 days near Lancaster, Missouri. Tony Knight started his business there in a small pole barn just east of downtown on Hwy 136. My father met Tony there in 1987 as he wanted to combine a turkey hunting trip with a tour of the Knight facility. After the inline design proved viable, Tony wanted to expand his business but couldn't get the local government to agree on some tax issues. He decided to move the facility across the state line to nearby Centerville, Iowa, some 25 miles away, where I believe it remains to this day.

Dad ended up meeting some other local folks and we still hunt in the Lancaster area, 20 years later. Every year he still points out the building where the inline muzzle loader had it's humble beginnings. I find the history interesting, hope you do too.

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » May 11th, 2008, 5:46 pm

On my original ML's I lay the overshot wad flat on the muzzle and push them just into the barrel with the flat on my thumb.  I push them down the rest of the way with my ramrod.  I think the TK2000 has a Jug or recess choke.  That is a portion of the barrel just below the choke that is larger than bore diameter.  If your wad goes into this area it will be loose.  Unless the Knight is different or uses a special wad I do not see why this would not work.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

ljmelea

Postby ljmelea » May 11th, 2008, 6:27 pm

sorry to take so long.i think 100grns of triple seven might be a little too much,back off to 90 or so.i had great patterns lately with goex true black powder,100grns,2oz hevi shot 6's.cci 209 primer.as to the over wad,as steve said,just start it with your thumb.ballistic specialitys has some great wads to try with the tk2000.i like the yellow ranger.keep me posted on your progress.american pioneer is another brand of powder to try.larry
good luck

dpittman

Postby dpittman » May 12th, 2008, 7:29 am

I have a TK2000. It has been back to knight 2 times now and still doesn't shoot. First they replaced the choke and it got worse and then I sent it back again and they changed the barrel. It still doesn't appear to be any better. Any advice from Larry L. This thing has been very disappointing. Was wondering if the shot that Knight uses would have much of an affect on the pattern. I have tried the long shotcups, long cups cut down to 1.75 oz , precision reloading wads, and BPI turkey rangers. They all shoot the same (terribly). 90-100 gr T7. 4,5,and 6 shot. Please Help

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » May 13th, 2008, 6:43 pm

Doug, Have you tried just plain old wads?  Wads with heavy petals may not work well in Jug chokes.  Also there are different grades of shot.  I use the hardest shot I can find.  It patterns better and penetrates better.  I have not messed with the substitutes powders.  My load is 2fg Goex the same volume as as 1-3/4 oz shotdipper, .125 hard card overpowder wad, 2 1/4" hard felt wads lubed, 1 overshot wad on the cushion wads, 1-3/4 oz #6 hard lead and a single overshot wad.  I set it off with a CCI #11 cap.  This is in a 10 bore jug choked original.  I also included a link for wads.  I have not messed with the new muzzle loaders at all.  If you ever get a chance to look at an original English dbl. you will see it is almost an inline.
http://www.circlefly.com/
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

jcscofie

Postby jcscofie » May 14th, 2008, 9:04 am

I used the TK2000 to shoot a 20lb., 10-inch beard, 7/8 spur stubborn gobbler in Iowa on Monday - used Knight 3 1/2 inch shot cups,  100 grn 777, knight #5 lead shot - I haven't had any trouble with the over-shot wads - they always straightened out on the way down if started crooked - left one load in for two days - and it never came out.... (First hunt with muzzloader - and first shot - about 30 yards)

dpittman

Postby dpittman » May 14th, 2008, 1:07 pm

Steve,  I have tried an RP12 or SP12. they are soft wads but they did not fare any better. I believe the wads need a very good gas seal that will seal thru the jug portion or you will get blow-by. The Knight wads have a very good gas seal but they are pretty stiff though. Knight claims patters with this gun to rival centerfire shotguns but my patterning has produced patterns of about modified at best instead of XX-Full. I don't want to give up on this gun but it is getting very frustrating

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion