Lets get started !

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Sooner44

Lets get started !

Postby Sooner44 » April 22nd, 2008, 4:32 pm

Okay, with only 10 days left in the spring season, It's time to start planning for the fall season.

Lets hear about:

[ul][*]Gobbler patterns and behavior difference between spring and fall
[*]Your opinion on calls, same or different for fall
[*]Use of decoy's - hen's only ? Tom's & hen's ?
[*]Locator call's- what works best in fall ?
[*]Food sources - what to look for / set-up on ?
[*]How vocal are the tom's in the fall season[/ul]
These are a few questions I have as a new turkey hunter, what's your opinion ? Advice ? Thoughts ?

Take Care !! Be Safe !!!

Sooner

Gobblernut

RE: Lets get started !

Postby Gobblernut » May 10th, 2008, 11:29 pm

I'm With ya ..Iv'e never hunted them in the fall so I need to start from scratch anything anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciate..Thanks.
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

Morgan

Postby Morgan » May 11th, 2008, 3:52 am

I am in the process of training my turkey dog pup....first time for a turkey dog...I think he will be ready come fall....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 11th, 2008, 5:47 am

Hey Carl,

Great topic. I've been hunting fall turkeys for many years now and enjoy it fully as much as hunting in the spring. I get to see huge flocks of birds, watch their behavior and hear all the vocalizations. I've been within just a few feet of flocks of 100 or more many times. If you want to learn to call like a hen, there's no better way to do that than to be a few feet from a large flock and just listen as "mama" calls her brood together.

It's also amazing to "bust up" a flock, wait just a few minutes and then call them back. To see and hear turkeys coming from several directions, calling loudly, is a thrilling experience.

The most important factor, in my opinion, to fall hunting, is to hunt where the turkeys are. I know how simplistic that sounds but it's absolutely true. They are in flocks. They stay in flocks and if you don't locate where the flocks are, you're just out of luck.

If you can watch the fields during the summer and early fall when crops are out, you'll see them. If there's a water source and they aren't disturbed too much, they'll probably be around somewhere when the season come.

I do scout in the fall but I don't just get in the area and walk around. I go and sit, even sit in my vehicle, just watch and listen.

The most important call in the fall is the kee kee. It's about all that I use or have need to use. I like mouth calls and again, that's all I use in the fall. I can do a better kee kee with one than anything else and I don't have to move to use it.

I like to go out the evening before the first day of the season (check your laws to make sure this is legal) and locate a flock. I want to know where they are on the first morning. Get in early, "bust them up" by yelling, hitting trees with sticks or even shooting in the air. Then find a comfortable spot close by, wait a few minutes and start you kee kee. If your "bust" was good, scattering them in several directions, they will return and then the fun begins.

Lastly, the fall is a great time for a social hunt. The more hunters that are with you the better. You can scatter out on a ridge after a bust and call. I've been on hunts with as many as 6-8 of us in a line waiting for the birds. It's a great time to take young folks as well. Just get them in camo, let them sit beside you and they won't get bored. The action can be fast and furious.

I truly believe if you ever try a fall hunt and "hunt where the turkeys are" you'll be hooked on it forever.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 11th, 2008, 7:08 am

Fall turkey hunting can be very different from yhe spring. I have hunted turkey in the fall since I was 12 and only got into spring hunting a few years ago. Fall hunting is harder to do. But. When you have a success it is all the sweeter. In the fall turkey will feed on more mast so look for theses type of food sources. Also scouting for fall is just as important as it is for the spring. Turkeys still scratch and roost so alot of the same things follow suite for your scouting. In the fall turkey are not as vocal so you must listen closely for purrs and clucks as they move about. Alot of the same places they hang in the spring will also be the same for the fall. And sometimes turkeys will find new routes for food and the new generation will find there own loafing areas at this time so if you find these in the fall you will also be better prepared for the next spring hunt.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » May 11th, 2008, 12:13 pm

Mississippi opened up a few more fall counties 2 years ago...gave me access to places other than along the river....I wasn't sure at first that I would like it....had over 30 years of spring hunting...well I done got hooked on fall....and to me it is a lot of fun...beats sitting on a deer stand....[;)]....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » June 1st, 2008, 5:00 am

Great topic and I can see that chattin with you fella's can be addictive as killin' turkeys,so for what its' worth here's my two cents worth. I've been killin' turkeys for a long time so if you really want to know how to git this fall season to be successful, just listen to what Clark ie allaboutshooting has got to say. Remember,a wise man got that way by learning to be quiet. Thanks Clark for visiting the Hoosier Hunter Custom Calls.com site and signing up for the FREE custom box call. Always lookin' for good Pro-staffers if your interested. The new site is still under constr. so please be turkey patient, and the other calls will be along soon.

[hr]

GOOD LUCK,GOD BLESS,AND STAY SAFE
L.K.LESLIE

Return to Fall Hunting