Conclusion: Charge of the Dark Brigade

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » February 16th, 2012, 11:42 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

When I said, “The birds couldn’t see us yet,” that wasn’t entirely accurate. They had no doubt heard our soft footsteps and saw two dark forms on the forest floor. Of course, turkeys see and hear stuff like that many nights, and if those unidentified shapes pass by, turkeys typically don’t get alarmed. If, however, those blobs sit by roost trees and fidget as it gets light, turkeys usually identify a potential threat, fly down the other way and get out of Dodge.

My friend and I quietly backed out of the area and set up 100 yards from the turkeys. A half-hour later, as daylight neared, soft tree-yelping let me know that the birds weren’t spooked and that we’d made the right choice.

Better, it turned out that we’d set up between several hens and a lonely gobbler. The hens flew down toward us, and the longbeard joined them from the opposite direction — all within 30 steps of my buddy’s barrel. After some nerve-shattering gobbling and a great spitting-and-drumming show, my friend ended the hunt with what’s still one of my favorite opening-day smashes — all because we’d retreated in the dark.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get your 2012 Spring Gobbler Hunter's Value Pack!

Bobbyparks

Re: Conclusion: Charge of the Dark Brigade

Postby Bobbyparks » February 16th, 2012, 8:31 pm

Well.....dang it!.......I guess I didn't kill this bird

Glad to have you back posting these Chief........Always enjoyed these...and ...going out on a limb....so to speak..with an answer
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » February 18th, 2012, 10:49 am

Ah, you probably would have, Bobby. That's the fun thing about these scenarios. Who knows how it would have played out if we had chosen the other path? My guess is that the hens would have flown down to the northwest, and the gobbler would have joined them there. We probably would have had to do some fancy low-crawling to get back with them. Then again, had they flown off to the east, away from the gobbler, he might have run to our yelping. We'll never know.

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » February 19th, 2012, 2:19 pm

Brian Lovett wrote:Ah, you probably would have, Bobby. That's the fun thing about these scenarios. Who knows how it would have played out if we had chosen the other path? My guess is that the hens would have flown down to the northwest, and the gobbler would have joined them there. We probably would have had to do some fancy low-crawling to get back with them. Then again, had they flown off to the east, away from the gobbler, he might have run to our yelping. We'll never know.

Hi Brian...and thanks for trying to make me feel better :)

Yea it's hard to know..Often there is more than one combination or way...but you make a good point I think in regards that if the birds heard a little too much going on at ground level....they might pitch in the opposite direction or at least be giving it a hard look before flydown....backing out...and maybe a re- positioning would be wise......

Thanks

Bobby
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Return to Decision Time