Decision Time: Charge of the Dark Brigade

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Decision Time: Charge of the Dark Brigade

Postby Brian Lovett » February 16th, 2012, 11:40 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett will share a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

Charge of the Dark Brigade

Opening day brings many opportunities, such as the chance to reunite with old friends and chat a bit in the turkey woods.

That’s what my buddy and I were doing as we walked along a logging road in the pre-dawn darkness. But when you’re talking and getting reacquainted, of course, you’re not paying attention to your surroundings. So when my buddy looked up and suddenly stopped, I knew it wasn’t good.

“Is that a turkey right there in that tree?” he said.

I couldn’t tell, but it was definitely a dark blob about 60 yards away. Through the years I’d hunted that property, I’d never seen or heard turkeys roost in that spot, but I knew that didn’t mean much. After my eyes adjusted a bit and I saw two or three more dark blobs in another tree, I figured we’d pretty much stumbled into a roost.

It was dark enough that the birds hadn’t spooked, but now we had a dilemma: Should we sit down, stay still and hope for the best? The birds couldn’t see us yet, so it was possible they could fly down in our laps. Or was it better to ease out of the area, set up farther away and let the birds settle down?

Darkness wouldn’t hold on forever, so we had to pick a strategy and go with it.

What would you have done? Post your decision below.

Click here for Lovett's decision.

Click here to get your 2012 Spring Gobbler Hunter's Value Pack!

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Decision Time: Charge of the Dark Brigade

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » February 16th, 2012, 12:08 pm

If it was dark enough that the birds couldn't see you yet, I would of dropped and sat there quietly until they flew down. If they just dropped out of the tree great, if not then move and try to reset up on them.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Bobbyparks

Re: Decision Time: Charge of the Dark Brigade

Postby Bobbyparks » February 16th, 2012, 8:26 pm

Yea I believe if I could find a spot that I felt I was concealed enough for them not to see me from the limb....I'd get set up and become a statue until they were on the ground .....and not give up the ground that I had lucked into gaining.....I would try to put something ...tree etc...between me and the dark blobs but not fool around and disturb them
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Return to Decision Time