After the fire?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Cut N Run

After the fire?

Postby Cut N Run » May 8th, 2008, 6:02 pm

Our lease is in timber management. There is a small section I intened to hunt Saturday (which is the last day of our season here in NC) where we have seen birds passing through  (2 longbeards were spotted last Saturday using a fire lane along that strip of woods when a buddy of mine was on his way out of the woods). I went by there today to find the best place to set up a small stake blind so all I had to do was show up and wouldn't have to make any noise shuffling around in the dark.  As soon as I pulled into the place I realized that the underbrush had been burned off, including all the way down to where I intended to hunt leaving tall trees and nothing else to hide behind. After swearing many times under my breath (couldn't this have waited another 4 days?!?), I decided to walk up toward the powerline cut and check for any sign up there.  I found some droppings, including one large J shaped one not far from the blind (never been so excited to see a turd before) confirming some activity.

I really wanted to hunt someplace different, but since so much of the underbrush has been burned off, my hope is that the Turkeys will go to where there has been less activity and more cover remains.  The forester said that he has seen turkeys move back into a burnt area a couple of days after the fire. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any similar experience with this same sort of thing? 

The timing could not be much worse in my opinion, especially when we knew which route the Turkeys were preferring to take when they left the roost.  The area they are roosting in is so thick that there is no possible way of getting in there undetected.  Even if you got in there, they could fly down 30 yards away and you might never see them. 

Hopefully, the Turkeys will are still using where I will be forced to go, as I don't know how old that sign was. I really hope the burning didn't freak them out & cause them to roost somewhere else (like the neighboring farm). No matter, I'm going hunting rain or shine.

Otherwise, does anybody have a good recipe for an unused Turkey tag?

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

wdog

RE: After the fire?

Postby wdog » May 8th, 2008, 7:24 pm

I heard somewhere that the turkeys go right back to burnt underbrush something bout finding a lot of bugs I think.....if not im sure your fine aint gonna kill em at home.

Morgan

Postby Morgan » May 9th, 2008, 1:48 am

They will be in that fresh burn....
...Old Timers Gobbler Club...

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 9th, 2008, 2:57 am

we burnt off a section of property a few years back that always held lots of birds...we couldn't find a turkey using it, however i always heard that they would be right back in there....no luck for me. hope it is different for you..good luck
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

steelheadr

Postby steelheadr » May 9th, 2008, 11:59 am

We hunted 6 days in OK this spring and the only birds I saw were along a road in a recent burn area. Two longbeards and three hens. Two of the hens were bedded down on the ashes.  Time was around noon

Dank

Postby Dank » May 14th, 2008, 6:19 am

If your season is still in a couple of weeks when the green begins to show back up, they should begin using the area again. We burnt 100 acres about two weeks before the season and once the green started coming back so did the turkeys.
Failure is often our best teacher.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 14th, 2008, 11:43 am

We weren't so fortunate.  They started burning the last week of the Turkey season and burnt the most on closing day right where I intedned to hunt in the afternoon.  No telling how many nests they disturbed or cooked for the sake of good forest practice.  If they had held off another few weeks all the poults would be hatched and able to flee fire.

I'm just hoping the hens nested on the back side of the property around the newly planted pines where no fire was allowed to get near. I intend to go watch from a deer stand on a cool morning just to see what survived and what likes the burned areas...at least there will be fewer ticks and chiggers to wade through.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Strategies