Need Advice

dtk913

Need Advice

Postby dtk913 » February 10th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Hey guys,

I am looking at taking a trip in 2013. The purpose will be to hunt Merriams in New Mexico. I have been through NM a few times and think it is a beautiful state, so I decided that's where I would like to give Merriams a try. I am from Iowa and have only ever hunted Easterns, but the colors of the bird and the terrain where the Merriams are located has always made me want to give them a try.

So, I am looking for advice on when and where. I have nothing against outfitters, but I think I would like to try it on my own and I am not opposed to hunting public land, I know there is quite a bit of it in NM. Since I am coming from Iowa, I suppose a Northern hunt would be better logistically, but I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance, and I can't wait to hear some suggestions.

Thanks,

Dan

Tom21inNM

Re: Need Advice

Postby Tom21inNM » February 13th, 2012, 1:47 pm

Dan,

I am still a newbie to all this, but based on advice from the gentleman in this forum I have studied as much as I can about my state. Also there are a couple of much more experienced Turkey men here who can add on. I mainly hunt Northern New Mexico, the Ponderosa Forests North and West of Albuquerque and all the way to the Colorado Border, Ive seen sign all over the state, including along the Western Edge adjoining Arizona. All of which are beautiful places to hunt. I would look at the Mountain areas North of I-40 and West of I 25. Not completely sure about the Southeast corner of the State as most of it is open plains, more speed goat territory. The one exception wuold be the Mountains around Ruidoso. All in all we have TONS of Public land to hunt, in any terrain you want. I am focussing this spring on the Mountains above Cuba NM. As Ive seen and heard Birds there. Coming From Iowa you have Thousands of Acres on the North end of the State, and more walking then you can ever imagine. This area on the NMDGF map is as good as I think you may find in our State. This is all North of Santa Fe Along the Colorado Border. Check out the NM game and fish website for more detailed maps.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (234.01 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
Yeah my names Tom, guess I am a bit of a Turkey myself!

dtk913

Postby dtk913 » February 13th, 2012, 2:18 pm

Tom,

Thanks for the imput!! That is the kind of information I am looking for. Hopefully I can get lots of opinions, and I will follow up on all of them. I love researching new areas.

Thanks again,

Dan

Tom21inNM

Postby Tom21inNM » February 14th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Happy to help, I am dying to try Units 51 and 52, I was on an Elk hunt up there a couple years ago and a group of Turkeys crossed a field below me. All hens, except the Biggest damn Tom I ever saw leading the pack up the hill, we were 100 yards away and he was Huge from that Distance.

dtk913

Postby dtk913 » February 14th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Is an over the counter license only good for a certain zone?

Dan

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » February 15th, 2012, 10:13 pm

I suppose I will jump in here. Dan, your over-the-counter license is good in most of the game management units that are open during the spring hunt, and that are not specified draw units. Refer to the NM Game Proclamation for additional details about open units and NM regulations.

As for the best public land areas to hunt, I am of the opinion that your best chance of finding good numbers of gobblers to hunt is in unit 34 in the southcentral part of the state. There are Merriams turkeys in most of the higher mountain ranges throughout NM, but the Lincoln National Forest most likely has the highest public-lands turkey densities of any unit.

If you decide to come down towards the south end of NM, contact me and I will get you going in the right direction.
Jim

Tom21inNM

Postby Tom21inNM » February 16th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Jim,

I Wanted to ask you that, I figured there were Gobblers in that area, just wondered how many, Also I pulled a Mulie tag outside of Reserve along the western edge of the State, and we saw tons of Turkey sign in that area also, I may need to make a Journey down there for one of my Weekends this spring to see how my luck is there.

Tom

jlhernandez

Postby jlhernandez » March 24th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Looking for advice as well. Just moved to El Paso from California. Did some turkey hunting for the first time over the past few years while I was stationed out there. The Bay Area was ripe for turkeys with all the vineyards they have out there. Was considering the Lincoln National Forest, since it is an easy drive from me from here in El Paso. Let me know what you can. Thanks!

mohunter

Postby mohunter » March 26th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Hey let me know how you do i was thinking about going there myself in the next year or SD been to the black hill killed birds there and in fall river co

Return to New Mexico