What decoy

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
az native

What decoy

Postby az native » February 11th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Hello everyone. I am a newbie to this site but have been lurking for a while. I just ordered a Cherokee decoy with interchangable heads (hen,agitated jake, aggressive jake, and mature Tom). I have drawn a spring tag here in Az. and was wondering what head would be best to use. I have drawn this tag for several years, and have had some success with my shotgun, but for the last two years I have been using my bow, and I can't seem to draw them into my effective range (they hang up at 50 to 60 yds) I have always used a single hen decoy. What do you think?

dustinwise

Re: What decoy

Postby dustinwise » February 11th, 2012, 6:51 pm

I have had good luck putting a hen or two out with a Jake decoy; I use a real Jake fan. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it or not but it has worked for me in the past. Good luck with your hunt.

az native

Postby az native » February 11th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Dustinwise, thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing. Maybe if I put the jake decoy along with the hens it might get a Tom angry enough to come in. Like I said earlier, I have had success running and gunning in the open cedar and juniper country with a shotgun, but my passion is archery, and really want one with my bow.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 12th, 2012, 9:23 am

You probably need a second deke for your setup Az. The problem with using a single hen decoy is that once the gobbler sees it he will expect the hen to come to him (as they do naturally) and that is why they hang up at 60 or 70 yards.

A hen decoy along with a jake should trigger the jealousy in a tom to bring him in. Put your decoys close to your setup; 12 to 15 yards for a bow shot, that way if the tom stops 10 yards short you may still get a shot.

I've had good luck with a strutter decoy and a hen over the last four seasons all though sometimes a jake fan is preferable to a full fan. My theory is this; I use hen calls and occasional gobbles (private land only) to make the tom think there is party going on without him. When the gobbler sees the decoys he gets visual confirmation that there is a party going on without him, that is why the hen wouldn't come to him, and comes to investigate.

This is pretty much a universal concept among experienced hunters and should work for you. Enjoy the outdoors and have fun out there!
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

az native

Postby az native » February 12th, 2012, 2:25 pm

fan club,
Since I am new at turkey hunting, I need to ask, why should you only gobble on private land? (fortunately it is my sisters ranch and very private) there is absolutely no pressure on these birds.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 12th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Az-

Using a gobble call on public land is one of the most dangerous things you can do in all of turkey hunting. A strutter decoy is a bad idea here as well.

The reason is that multiple hunters will probably try to move in tight on a gobbling bird that has announced his presence. None of them will know that the gobble was not real, and none of them will know about each other or YOU! They are all wearing camo from head to toe and some may belly crawl into position. Now imagine that they all come from different directions to the same small field or clearing and are sitting across from each other or YOU. Most hunters won't approach hen calls, but almost all will go after a gobble if they hear one. If an actual gobbler shows up he might get shot at from three or more different directions.

Certainly you can see the danger involved in this scenario. Some fools, and especially inexperienced ones, will do anything to try and tag a bird, don't know or care about ethics and won't respect your position or privacy. This situation has only worsened over the years as private land is harder to find and public lands have gotten overcrowded. Additionally, you know have a new generation of hunters whose parents didn't hunt and they had no mentor. Because of friends and the proliferance of Outdoor TV they decided to get into hunting.

This is, of course, an extreme example but public land stories abound about hunters that have been shot, decoys that have been shot, or conflicts that arise from hunters going after the same bird. Suffice to say, save the gobble call for the private land where access is limited and you know who is there and where they are.

You should be safe to gobble on your sister's ranch. ;)

az native

Postby az native » February 12th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Thanks for the reply Fan Club,
I can certainly understand the danger of gobbling on public land, I appreciate the advice.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 12th, 2012, 9:24 pm

Az-

You're certainly welcome my friend.

Out of all of the aspects of turkey hunting, safety needs to be first and foremost but usually gets the least amount of attention. Calls, camo, decoys and gadgets flood the market each year and get all of the focus. Then comes calling technique, strategy and tactics. You get the idea.

There is no such thing as a stupid question and those who ask shorten the considerable learning curve for themselves in this sport. Unfortunately, advice like I gave you is hard earned through the mistakes and misfortunes of others and we owe it to them to pass it on. It's one of the many reasons that forums like this exist.

Hunt safely and have a great spring season!

Jeff

onpoint

Postby onpoint » March 3rd, 2012, 11:11 am

Fan Club wrote:Az-

Using a gobble call on public land is one of the most dangerous things you can do in all of turkey hunting. A strutter decoy is a bad idea here as well.

Most hunters won't approach hen calls, but almost all will go after a gobble if they hear one. If an actual gobbler shows up he might get shot at from three or more different directions.

Certainly you can see the danger involved in this scenario. Some fools, and especially inexperienced ones, will do anything to try and tag a bird, don't know or care about ethics and won't respect your position or privacy. This situation has only worsened over the years as private land is harder to find and public lands have gotten overcrowded.
This is, of course, an extreme example but public land stories abound about hunters that have been shot, decoys that have been shot, or conflicts that arise from hunters going after the same bird. Suffice to say, save the gobble call for the private land where access is limited and you know who is there and where they are.

You should be safe to gobble on your sister's ranch. ;)

Great advice Fan!! I hunted a WMA locally last year because I'd exhausted all my other places and the price of gas. Luckily, I got to on to gob who responded to a box. He was in a gully below (from the sound of him, couldn't get a visual) He was close enough that I set up with gun up, clucked and purred, scratched leaves a little and waited while waiting for him to stick his head up over the terrain break . After about 10 min. with no response, I put the gun down and scratched again. BOOM!!!! Someone down below me who never even called (at least that I could hear) took a whack at the bird. I never even heard or for that matter saw the shooter!!!! :o I was mad at first, then thankful that the bird didn't stick his head up, thus causing me to shoot down into the gully where the shot came from. This could've have easily resulted in a REAL TRADEGY that no bird is worth!!! :shock:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » March 3rd, 2012, 2:55 pm

I bow hunt public lands in WI & MN, I have been stalked so many times I can't remember. I use a double bull blind and no longer set up in the woods, at least on an edge & sometimes in the middle like the videos... Ya right I've only taken a couple birds since 96 no "doubles" for me !

I used motion decoys & was dumb enough to buy a hazelcreek mounted hen; I think I got the gay version though I get LOTS on pissed off hens some mornings. No more motion;they are outlawed in some states and no Tom's for sure, even my aggressive jake scared of it's fair share. I'd like to know were all these Dominate toms are that they show on the latest videos, they come in a runnin'...

I had two kids belly crawl into my set up; on a field edge but tucked in on a hump, alfalfa field to the woods Tom hagin' at 60 yards for 30 minuets, never saw them till they stood to fire as the tom flew past my blind ! 2 shots at a flying tom, we do it on gesse all the time...

From that week on I have changed my tactics, what did you expect on public lands here in WI private property is hard to come buy BIG $$

I flote call & sctatch + I have a wing thing, anybody remember them ? I wish I could find a new one, anybody want a 400 dollar decoy ?
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

Next

Return to Strategies