Hunting late spring

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
RNC

Hunting late spring

Postby RNC » April 15th, 2008, 4:45 am

Turkey season in Minnesota and Wisconsin starts this week. My group doesnt get to hunt until May 21st. So there is a real chance that any birds we hunt will have been pressured and call shy. That being the case what are some methoods or tricks if you prefer to close the deal on a bird. Also in the are we will be hunting in Wisconsin it seems the birds dont have one particular roost they like to use. It seems that they roost where ever they are when the day comes to an end. Is this the norm? 

gutpiler

RE: Hunting late spring

Postby gutpiler » April 15th, 2008, 3:19 pm

Try getting close and calling soft and sparingly to pressured wis birds.And yes it seems to me that the birds in my area have several options when it comes to roosting spots and they take full advantage of it. And 1 more thing pressured birds WILL COME IN QUIETLY so listen for footfalls and drumming and be ready all the time. 

JPH

Postby JPH » April 18th, 2008, 11:06 am

May 21st??? Man I'm sorry.

My first advice would be to not assume anything. You never know, those birds might be fired up and run to the call when you get to them. If that does not happen though, I would give the same advice you got above. Travel light, wait for the first gobble off the roost and get in close.

RNC

Postby RNC » April 20th, 2008, 4:40 am

Well the Minnesota/Wisconsin seasons started and we got some snow and cooler weather. From the few folks I have talked to who have been out its been slow going. They are thinking everything has been pushed back a little. If thats the case I hopoe it helps us at the end of the season. 

wdog

Postby wdog » May 6th, 2008, 8:41 am

the birds got pushed back about a month this year me and a buddy have got permits for last season zone its should be really good........

STEROIDCHICKEN

Postby STEROIDCHICKEN » May 6th, 2008, 8:53 am

man o'man....that is a late start. i guess the birds start later out there i reckon.
my advice would be to be patient,patient,patient.....call soft and be very observant. good luck.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventure Prostaff and Cameraman

RNC

Postby RNC » May 6th, 2008, 10:15 am

Actually its the end of the seasons here was just the luck of the lottery draw that we got picked for this time. My folks were at their cabin lask week where we will be hunting and talked to another group that picked for that time. Seems there were hearing a lot of gobbling but couldnt get anything in close. They also said they have seen a lot of turkeys feeding right in the yard around the cabin. So hopefully we will get lucky, if we dont go we know we wont get anything.

n57flyguy

Postby n57flyguy » May 7th, 2008, 4:13 pm

I feel your pain, I'll only get out one day this season....May 24th. [:@] My plans for this season crapped out AGAIN but one day i better than none at all.

As far as advice, call sparingly and quite, throw some purrs in, and bug spray.  

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » May 12th, 2008, 11:17 am

If you know a bird was/is in the area and can hear your caling, it can be worth waiting a long time at one position. That late in the season some birds will come in very slow and/or quiet. The old method of calling soft & sparingly, and waiting a long time can pay off this late in the season.

If the birds are fired up hunt them regular, but if they seem quiet and reserved you can try the slow method. Not real exciting and it can test your patience, especially with the bugs. But if a gobbler comes in drumming then it is exciting! [8D]

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 12th, 2008, 11:50 am

If you know there travel routes or find sign in areas they hang out it may be as simple as just finding a spot and waiting. Calling may push the birds away from you. Around here the birds have been henned up for the most pasrt so all calling seems to do is make the hens drag them away no matter how hard they gobble. Best of luck to you.

Next

Return to Strategies