Tougher than woodpecker lips!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
JPH

RE: Tougher than woodpecker lips!

Postby JPH » May 7th, 2008, 5:21 am

Okay! Okay! I think I'm ready to talk about it now.

They had been using strut zones within the timber and were henned up, so my plan was to slip in there very early. As I was easing into position, I looked up and realized that I was 20 yds. from a roosted gobbler. I could only ease into a seated position, against a bare cedar, and wait. As the sun came up, I learned that I was in the middle of 6 roosted gobblers! The boss was strutting on the limb, 60 yds. away. It was spectacular!

Iowa law allows you to shoot on the limb during legal hours, but I will not do it. I had to see what he was going to do when he flew down. The boss came down first and began to strut his was to my set-up. Then the closer gobbler dropped down right in front of me. I stood out like a sore thumb at that range and he began to run to the right. Bad angle! I shot right over his head and he flew. I turned back just in time to see the boss tom also in flight. If I had eaten breakfast, I'd have lost it right there.

But hey, I cannot complain. While tough, this season had given me several big pieces of breast meat, some awesome memories, and a lot of hard earned lessons. It's all good. I've still got a couple of weekends. Who knows?

JPH

RE: Tougher than woodpecker lips!

Postby JPH » May 11th, 2008, 5:33 am

My season has had it's ups and downs, but it ended on an awesome note. I set up close but played "follow the gobbler" for two hours after fly down. Then I decided to stop the run and gun, found a good spot and began calling. I tied into a gobbler at a distance and brought him gobbling all the way in. He strut a slow circle around my decoy at 10 yds. before I took him. Talk about a heart pounding hunt!

22 lbs., 11" beard and 1" spurs. That was my last Iowa tag and Missouri is over today. I may guide next weekend, but I'm otherwise done. God has blessed me with another great season!

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion