Autoloader

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
zgierach247

Autoloader

Postby zgierach247 » May 4th, 2008, 5:48 pm

Hey everyone,

Im looking at a few different autoloaders for this fall.  I used a browning pump this year but its not mine and id like to get an auto loader before i go again.  Im looking at the Stoeger 2000, Mossberg 930, and the Remington 11-87.  Any advice or comments about these guns or suggestions for any other guns? 

Thanks,
Zach

grunt_doc

RE: Autoloader

Postby grunt_doc » May 5th, 2008, 4:36 am

There are some posts about the Stoeger a feww titles down...some basic comments abd the break-in procedure.  Check it out and see what you think.

Doc

allchokedup

Postby allchokedup » May 6th, 2008, 3:33 pm

Hi Zach, Let me start by saying, I'm no expert on shotguns, but I do own a few and love to shot them. I purchased the Stoeger m2000 this year and shot the heck out of it. I have had no problems at all with this shotgun. I think all of the shotguns you mentioned are great guns. If you are able, shoulder a few and see how they each feel. I'm thinking about the Rem. 11-87 myself in 20 gauge. Which ever you decide on, just make sure you clean them good before you shoot. Also, if you go with the Stoeger m2000, you might want a limbsaver, that little 3" has some kick. If you get the steady grip stock on the stoeger use #10002. (not an exact fit , but real close.) Good luck and happy hunting.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 9th, 2008, 9:35 am

Hey Zach,

There are a number of excellent self-loaders on the market today. I shoot a good many of them in my work, in competition and for hunting. I frankly like most of them very much.

I always recommend that you shoulder as many guns as possible and see which one fits and feels the best to you. That's a pretty personal thing that no one else can really tell you. Fit and confidence are very important to shooting success.

Of the guns that you've mentioned, I'd favor the 11-87. I've shot them for many years and can testify that they are tough and reliable shotguns. The only objection that I've ever heard to them is that they are heavy. I consider that an attribute because it also helps reduce recoil.

If you choose a lighter gun, you can always help the recoil situation with a slip on recoil pad. I use and recommend the Shooter's Friend Recoil pad. I could not possibly shoot as much as I do without one.

You've been given excellent advice about cleaning. It's important to clean the action and of course the barrel and the choke(s). I'd recommend that you consider reading "Cleaning a Shotgun Barrel" at http://www.allaboutshooting.com

Over the years that article has really helped many shooters be much more successful with their shotguns.

Whatever gun you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 9th, 2008, 1:38 pm

Hi zgierach247.   I purchased a Stoeger 2000 this year and I love it. My long time freind and hunting buddy had got one last year and I was very impressed by it then. My old shotgun was a westernfeild I bought when I was 13. I got it from a cousin of mine. It basicaly is a Mossberg shotgun but made for Montgomery wards years ago. It shots well but I wanted to update my choice of gun for turkey hunting. I am VERY happy with the choice I made.

Return to Shooting