Conclusion: The Diceman Cometh

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » February 8th, 2012, 10:15 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

In the interest of full disclosure, I’ll admit that I had a secret ace. The woods behind us dropped off into a large ravine, so I got about 30 yards behind the two gunners and called from there. That would at least make it seem natural to the gobblers that they couldn’t see the yelping hen. Further, they’d probably take the path of least resistance — high ground along the woods edge — to the source of that calling.

And call I did. In fact, I went at those birds aggressively. They interrupted my first series of cutting and ran to the gun barrel — with me calling all the way. When I finally put my smoking striker in my pocket, two longbeards were flopping in the late-May sunlight.

Could I have clucked once and still pulled in those red-hot gobblers? Maybe, but I’ll never know. That flip of the coin — and a little float-calling — seemed to play just fine that day.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to get your 2012 Spring Gobbler Hunter's Value Pack!

Return to Decision Time