The Pa hunt!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
swpatrkyhunter

The Pa hunt!

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 4th, 2008, 3:22 pm

Hello to all. Well. After the first week of Spring gobbler in Pa I remain without a bird. Had an exciting hunt this past Saturday. My buddy and i slipped in a half hour before daylight about 100 yards from a roost. And we sat without making a sound. Daylight came and soon after a thunderous gobble roared from our right. So we answered back. This time we got answered by 3 toms. So we plated this game for awhile. Basing our call frequency on the mood of the birds. After about 45 minutes I could hear one flap his wings just over the lip of a hill about 50 yards in front of us. I did a soft yelp and he answered before I finished. Gun at the ready ( as it had been for 30 minutes). Just when things looked like a slam dunk The same boss hen that drew birds away from me a few days earlier shot out an agressive cackle. She kept it up and next thing I knew we were in compition with a hen that already knew she would win the battle. LOL. Oh well. Thats part of the game. After the birds moved off we circled around the ridge to cut them off from where we knew they would be heading. Only to be busted by a hen as we came around the side of the ridge. Needless to say we had no luck the rest of the morning.  So. Monday is another day. And I can't wait.

MAK

RE: The Pa hunt!

Postby MAK » May 5th, 2008, 3:14 am

Seems like we have lot's of hens everywhere in PA - keep after them, good luck.
MAK

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » May 6th, 2008, 5:33 pm

Next time shoot the boss hen!!! [:D]
Just kidding, just kidding.........[8D]

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 8th, 2008, 7:29 am

LOL. Well trust me the thought of shooting her did cross my mind for a second. But I'm just not like that.But I have figured out to use her own tactics against her. The birds roost in the same area every night. And if you call to them in the morning she will drag the toms in exactly the opposite direction. So when my buddy and I go hunting this Saturday we are going to set up in opposite locations and let her drag the toms right into the other ones lap.

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion