next to last saturday of the season

Cut N Run

next to last saturday of the season

Postby Cut N Run » May 3rd, 2008, 11:35 am

Saw one hen fly down from the ridge I was on across to the next ridge to the west a little after 7:00AM. Had a Jake come in from behind me at 9:00AM working down the ridge toward the creek.  He got to within 15 feet & couldn't quite figure what I was, but since I didn't move he passed in front of me and continued on toward the creek.  My buddy saw a couple of hens and another Jake on the other side of the property that went out toward the cutover.  On his way back to the truck he saw a pair of Longbeards that had been in the block of woods between us all morning and hadn't gobbled the first time.  I called it a day around noon.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

rbewilson

RE: next to last saturday of the season

Postby rbewilson » May 3rd, 2008, 3:35 pm

Hey Cutt N Run, we are in the last week of the season here in east-Tenn.too,had two gobblers answer my calls today also had them coming but a hen got to them frist about 100 yards from me.There is always next Saturday,also good luck on the rest of your season.P.S. I will also be glad to get some more sleep, but it is a long time before next season.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 4th, 2008, 6:36 pm

I hope to get another week day between now and Saturday, but the way work is going things are not looking good for it.  Even though the last time I shot was opening day, I had several very close encounters that helped make me a better hunter.  I have seen several Turkeys strut, had them come to my calls, and had them just about walk on top of me without spooking. Even if I don't see another bird this year I had a great season.  I'm not throwing in the towel yet & I am satisfied.

I also got a line on a new place to hunt from a guy who is moving several hours away.  It is some family land that he is the only one who Turkey hunts there.  It is closer to my house than the lease is which means I can get a little more sleep and won't have to work quite so hard for a place to hunt as I do at the lease. Their neighbor wants to lease it, so I'll have to see what happens.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » May 14th, 2008, 10:53 am

Well the season is over for 2008, had a great year in terms of seeing turkeys. Had birds closer to me this year than ever before, had a hen come in close enough for my son to reach out and grab. I ended up being a part of 9 kills this season but should have been at least 12. My brother missed a very nice bird from 25 yards out, Had a 15 year old miss a boss at 20 yards and I missed a bird my buddy has been after for 3 years last Thursday. He put me on this old bird way up in the mountians of Boone NC, the wind was blowing 20-40 mph but I managed to call him and 3 of his hens to what I judged at about 35 yards..I took the shot and he turned and flew off. I still can't get over that miss, I could have waited it out and chances are he may have come in a little closer after I missed I paced off how far of a shot it actually was and came up with 43 yards.
I still should have killed him at that distance using the nitro shells but I don't know if the wind had something to do with it or not. Maybe next year.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Return to North Carolina