Scouting Early

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
gooseberry

Scouting Early

Postby gooseberry » January 8th, 2012, 9:22 am

I posted a similar question before, but it's Sunday morning at 9:20 AM and I have nothing to do all day until 4 PM. Would it benefit me to take a walk in the woods and look for turkey signs? If I find some now will they still be in the same general area at the end of April?
Bruce

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Scouting Early

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 8th, 2012, 9:50 am

It depends on what part of the country your in? Up here in the northern states the birds move quite a distance to flock up for the winter, sometimes as far as 3-4 miles. It depends on where the food and cover is the best for them?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » January 8th, 2012, 2:11 pm

In my view.......About the only real benefit I would see in any woods entry regarding turkey hunting now....would be to learn the lay of the land.

You can see everything quicker beacuse there's no follliage obstructions....and knowing where creeks...ditches..and fences etc are beneficial so you can hopefully avoid setting up in a way a bird could hang up.

Knowing where all the logging roads are and where they lead as well as firebreaks can't hurt as it may provide an avenue to move on a gobbling bird once the season starts

Its not to say you won't see turkey sign while you're out but patterns are likely to change...might be sign now and none in Spring or vice versa...some places experinec more change than others......mostly where I hunt....not really a big difference

But as far as real scouting goes..its not like it can hurt...(short of doing it so often you affect bird behavior) ...but its not likely to provide any real data you can count on later
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

DMP1

Postby DMP1 » January 8th, 2012, 3:55 pm

Bobby hit the nail on the head.

shaman

Postby shaman » January 11th, 2012, 6:25 am

There is no great imperative to getting out right now. However, if you are just getting started, now would be a good time to get out and listen to flocks on the roost and listen to the whole process from the first tree call to flydown and beyond. Those girls give free lessons every morning to any turkey hunter willing to be out and listening.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

tracebusta39

Postby tracebusta39 » January 23rd, 2012, 9:30 pm

Scouting is the key to being a good turkey hunter, I will always take the knowledge of the land/turkeys over good/great calling anyday of the year.

If you know what they are doing you will be successful at harvesting a bird no matter how good/bad of a caller you are. Don't let anyone tell you that it's too early to scout, it's never to early....sure the birds will move around as spring gets closer but if your out there you will get to see the birds break up into smaller flocks and thin down to 1 or 2 gobblers of your choice to hunt.

These guys on the hunting shows are only successful because they have the outfitters pre scouting for them before they get there, you can do the same thing.

tracebusta39

Postby tracebusta39 » February 1st, 2012, 8:38 pm

gooseberry wrote:I posted a similar question before, but it's Sunday morning at 9:20 AM and I have nothing to do all day until 4 PM. Would it benefit me to take a walk in the woods and look for turkey signs? If I find some now will they still be in the same general area at the end of April?
Bruce

No, the birds will scatter 95% of the time, there may be some left where you seen the majority it just depends on the size of the flock. On one of the farms I hunt last year there was 133 birds in one field in early March, on opening day April 10th there wasn't one lol.

Here in the South it isn't too early to scout, the season is only 2 weeks away in SC.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » February 2nd, 2012, 7:00 pm

a february spring turkey season in S.C. ??? thought it was mid march???

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 4th, 2012, 10:07 am

As some have already stated, it depends on your location.

This far north, the birds prefer to winter roost in conifer trees for shelter from the snow and wind. They won't move too far (to conserve energy) and stay fairly close to food sources such as bird and stock feeders.

By April, they will roost in any suitable deciduous tree. They will eat small green shoots and berries, if available, and then switch to insects for the protein in late spring. Nesting habitat is a necessity at this point as well.

Lastly, turkeys "yard up" during the winter much like deer, as there is safety in a large number of eyes and ears. It is not uncommon to see flocks of 20-30. By April they will have dispersed and established a pecking order and home territories.

As you can see, a lot of variables change from January to April, including preferred roosting sites, food sources and territory. Scouting at any time won't hurt, but how relevant it will be in April is anybody's guess.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

tracebusta39

Postby tracebusta39 » February 5th, 2012, 10:19 am

Lets just say if your in the SOuTh it's relevent to scout now, if your up North maybe not so soon.....

Next

Return to Strategies